Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 03-22-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Wi-fi internet sharing without a router

I've tried making this work but it took me a week to find a good article on the web that would guide me on how to share internet connection without a router.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Not sure what you are saying? Can you explain your setup, your internet connection and what you are trying to achieve, and I may be able to help out

Dan
Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 AM

Hi,

Just to put my 2 cents worth in, are you referring to the inbuilt Internet connection sharing built into XP?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 AM

hi
if this can be done then its quite great.so,plz tell that how can this be done or provide alink for the same.i shall be very thankful.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 AM

In a wired or wireless network, you can share your internet so long as your units have the right network card. I still recommend getting a router. The router acts as internet provider to all your units and without it one of your PCs become the host. The host PC always have to be on for your network to work. The cheapest router can provide more security to a routerless network anytime and network setup is a lot more straightforward.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froix View Post
In a wired or wireless network, you can share your internet so long as your units have the right network card. I still recommend getting a router. The router acts as internet provider to all your units and without it one of your PCs become the host. The host PC always have to be on for your network to work. The cheapest router can provide more security to a routerless network anytime and network setup is a lot more straightforward.
I've tried sharing my internet connection on my desktop installed with windows xp, The source of the internet connection is a wired lan connection and I was able to make it share internet connection to my laptop via Wi-Fi. My desktop has 2 lan cards both wired and Wi-Fi lan cards, after a week of searching articles on the net I was able to make it work.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Without having a wireless card or router to actually pick up the connection, how do you expect to get the connection?

It will hardly just fly in. It's easy to get software for a wireless card and they're aren't really that expensive.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:50 PM

If you have a desktop computer that don’t have built-in wireless adapter, you can buy a USB wireless adapter for beneath than US$10 and it is so abundant cheaper compared to a router. First we’ll need to setup the HOST computer. It will be the one that is sharing the Internet connection. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections, you should see a Local Area Connection, Wireless Network Connection and a connection dailer.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Hi Friends,
By installing a wireless router, you can easily share your Internet connection among multiple computers and enjoy connectivity without the constraints of cables.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 AM

It can be done.But its a little bit complicated to set it up.