Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 10-21-2011, 12:37 AM

Default Is it a green datacenter?

What do you think a green data center is? Is it a data center powered by a green or alternative energy source, or is it just an efficient data center consuming less power?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 PM

I think both are green, but I prefer the later. Anyway, do you think green energy sources like solar energy and wind power are reliable enough to power a data center?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 PM

I've heard and read of many data centers that run on solar and wind power to make up for their carbon emmissions/footprint. An example of one of these would be the Hostgator data centers (They run on wind power), you can read up about it here.

What I've seen other companies do as well is buy carbon credits to make up for their carbon footprint. Carbon credits are a very easy and cheap way for any business to go green without having to make any major changes to their data center. If you don't know what carbon credits are then you can read up about it here.

Regards,
ford
Old 10-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Thanks Ford, I didn't know that Hostgator's data centers run on wind power. I just visited the webpage and couldn't find anything about what energy source the data centers run on. Anyway, of course wind power is not the main energy source they use, right?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:12 PM

As a matter of fact it is! They claim to run on "130% Wind Energy". I'm just glad that some of the larger companies are doing their part in being green.

Regards,
ford

Last edited by ford; 10-24-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford View Post
As a matter of fact it is!
Really? That is awesome. Do they not have any issue keeping the uptime rate at 99% or so, as they promise their users? It is what I concern the most.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:13 PM

They usually have a very large power storage center/room so if the wind doesn't blow for a while they still have power.

Regards,
ford
Old 10-30-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford View Post
They usually have a very large power storage center/room so if the wind doesn't blow for a while they still have power.

Regards,
ford
That's great to know that it works for them. I can see how it works on an industrial scale. Do you think it would work on smaller and more personal scales as well?