Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 07-25-2007, 08:18 AM
T-MAC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbyJJ View Post
I prefer cisco and haven't used the Dell switches, although I know people who have. They say it's very similiar to cisco although the front end is a little bulkier..
I prefer cisco too,Cisco is really doing great with its switches.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Dell 5324 vs. Cisco 2960 or 3560 series

Hi, I know this is an old topic but I doing some research to see if it is worth going to Cisco switches

Dell 5324:
Switch Fabric Capacity 48.0 Gbps
Forwarding Rate 35.6 Mpps

Cisco 2960G-24TS
switching fabric 32 Gbps
Forwarding Rate: 35.7 Mpps

Cisco 3560G-24TS
switching fabric 32 Gbps
Forwarding Rate: 38.7 Mpps

I realize that Cisco Switches are feature rich, but when it comes to it raw numbers it seems that the Dell switch is better....there is a big different from the 5324 48Gbps to the cisco switches... Does anyone have experience/benchmarks to see if this is true. I don't understand why there is such performance jump from the XXXXG-E series switches that are L2/L3. Cisco needs to improve the basic L2 swithes because they are much more expensive then the competition....am I wrong?

Regards

Last edited by geovanni78; 09-11-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Here is my $0.02 USD...

First of all, we need to think about cost. You get what you pay for! Do you really expect to get superior quality switching for half the cost of the industry leaders? I have used Dell switches, HP switches, Extreme Networks switches, Foundry switches, and of course Cisco switches. All of them have flaws. Dells have (or used to have) limitations on VLANs, Extremes are purple, Foundries solder their GBICs in and their GBICs tend to die, causing you to have to buy a new switches, Ciscos have issues auto-negotiating...

Lets face it, If you are an ISP and reach the point where you are pushing 2gbps on a switch, you should be making enough revenue to justify paying for a switch which is intended for high amounts of traffic. I am partial to the Cisco 6509.

Now to a pet peeve of mine... Why complain about the fact that a switch has issues routing? It is a switch! If you want something that handles routing well, get a router. Again, if you have issues routing due to ridiculous amounts of transit, you should be able to justify an actual router. The Cisco 6509 would be the only switch that I would consider doing routing on. Also, are you intending on having all your servers attached to your Layer3 switch? If so, where is your routing redundancy? I would rather have my switch configured with 2 redundant links to a routing device.

Like I said, this is just my $0.02 USD, the exchange rate may vary and be worth nothing!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 AM

I prefer CISCO rather going for DELL, which offer a very high quality service and very user friendly too. Hence DELL is little tedious to work with.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:43 PM

Cisco is more specialized in switches, than dell who decide to go into all sorts.

However, dell has more investment in this.

But overall, i think Cisco would be the better bet.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:21 AM

Cisco is prefered because of good experience over years without a single failure.