Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 09-21-2004, 04:26 AM

Default unmetered port servcie worth it?

Do you like unmetered port offers like 100Mbit unmetered port what it means?. is it worth it?.

Last edited by whcdavid; 02-06-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Davin

I highly doubt that you'll find a/an reliable/affordable 100 mbps unmetered service. Unmetered means just that - the DC does not meter your transfer.

An unmetered service is great for people who need to know exactly what their bandwidth costs are going to be every month. While the unmetered bandwidth model removes the 'christmas morning' symptoms from the bandwidth billing, the downside is that the unmetered connection is typically hardware rate limited (not rate-shaped).

A typical webhosting type company would probably do alright with a 1.5 mbps unmetered bandwdith product if they moved at or around 300 GB/mo in traffic. Many value-added content providers have a hard time with these connections because they may move 300 GB/mo in traffic but they do it between 8:00 and 5:00, m-f -- meaning that the demands of their customer base outstrip the ability of their data pipe to keep up with their needs.

The story on unmetered is that one should be very careful when they subscribe. Measure your bandwidth carefully and make sure that your daily requirements do not exceed your planned pipe capacity. It's a great cost-saving product if it's the right product for you.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:04 PM
LumbyJJ

Just my .02 here, but if you got a 100 Mb/s unmetered, then you wouln't have to worry about bursting, but even with a 10 Mb/s most would be fine. Another way to get around the possible problem is by getting a 10 Mb/s unmetered on a 100 Mb/s port billed by 95th percentile, therefore, the customer could burst for 36 hours that month without recieving any overage charges. Of course, this is more of a bandwidth commit than unmetered, but would be a solution to the problem mentioned...
Old 02-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Andy

Most providers measure every 5 minutes on 95th percentile on a 30 day schedule. so the top 5% measured will be dropped.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:24 AM
wotanworks

If you can afford it, the unmetered port is worth it.
Beware of "cheap" unmetered ports since most likely you will not be able to use anywhere near the port's bandwidth due to oversubscription.

When I sell an UnMetered port, I'm essentially selling you the full port bandwidth, minus a small number; that way I can guarantee you the full speed without having to skimp on anything or rip anyone off like the other providers do. Its one of the benefits of running your own network instead of just reselling someone else's.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:39 AM

What percentage of hosting centers offer per-Gigabyte transfer billing, versus unmetered? And of those who use unmetered, what percentage offer 95th-percentile billing? Do you have a choice which type of billing to use?