Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 09-29-2004, 12:57 PM

Default What is the advantages using VoIP rather PSTN ?

I am just wondeting what is the advantages using VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol ) rather PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network )?

Last edited by juandc; 09-29-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Seldon

From my understanding VOIP service is cheaper and you can talk for long than PSTN networks.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Admin

Also as far as I know you can run VOIP off you existing computer network, which would be why it is cheaper.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Olive Tree Solutions

As I see it the advantages really kick-off when you are using VoIP in the following scenarios:
A.Intra-Office communication, in other words gateway to gateway (calls are not going through the PSTN at all.
B.Large outcall calling center, because in theory in VoIP you pay only for the calls and you can save the charges on the lines so if you had 8 lines here in the US you can save 8X$18 by installing an 8 port gateway
C. In places that you do not have phone lines at all; Satelite internet to VoIP gateway
D. you have to make large amount of simultanious calls sporadically and you do not want to pay the local company to maintain the lines.
All this is in theory because a full blown system will cost you an upward of $20,000 so you still have to pay fees for someone to host the solution
Old 10-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Administrator

We are really inrested in VOIP solutions. May be lots of hositng companeis intrested. How much would it cost for 4 Ports gateway. Can we get it for soem reasonable price.

Thank You
David.K
Old 10-10-2004, 05:09 AM
VoIP Alaska

The advantages using VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol ) rather than PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network )
At this time I don't think VoIP is ready to replace PSTN for for full time use but it is a good replacement for long-distance and International calling. You can get VoIP services that you don't pay any monthly service fees, you can call PC to PC same VoIP network users free, receive PSTN to PC calls free "Caller will pay for a long-distance calls to you" The only thing you pre-pay for VoIP PC to PSTN calls at a much lower rate than PSTN calls.

With some VoIP providers you need VoIP phones or adapters and broadband/high speed Internet connection and others you can use on a free softphone download on a dial-up Internet connection using a $10.00 headset that works just as good and works on wi-fi wireless.

VoIP is even a better solution for countries that have high toll rates.
Example: Viper Networks
Brazil PSTN to USA PSTN day rates: Approx. $1.00 min.
Brazil VoIP to USA PSTN .029 (2.9 cents)
Brazil VoIP to USA VoIP free (Same network)
USA PSTN to Brazil VoIP (toll rate to Iowa)
USA VoIP to Brazil PSTN $.027 to $.074 Mobil $.204
Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 PM

Default I suggest you

If you are looking for simple voip solution then you have to trust me.
I have used many in the past but the one I can recommend to others is Voipography with their PBX on the cloud, Your visitors are in direct connection by click2dial, Your dynamic auto attendant in your hand, your whole sale voice termination, and your secured voice telephony , all in one platform, absolutely the best .
You can check them at
www.voipography.com
info@voipography.com