Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 11-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith
Default FEMA Disaster Related Certificates

This year appears to be the year of Disaster Recovery. With the demand for official DR planning there also comes a very high demand for establishing and managing the recovery resources.

Since Hurricane Katrina hit, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has been working hard on training and certifying personnel that are involved with disaster recovery efforts. I must say these tests are aimed at public officials, such as fire fighters and police officers, but I have seen a great amount of relevancy between what an IT person does with systems and what a fire fighter does with houses.

The tests are known as the NIMS (National Incident Management System) tests.

The certifications are free to the public and 100% online. Taking the online class and passing the test also earns college credits. I am a volunteer firefighter and required to take atlest the first few (NIMS 100, 200, and 700).

You can read more by going to: http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/is/

I strongly recommend this certification for anyone responsible for creating a DR plan and/or establishing a structured crisis management center for recovery efforts.

--Keith