Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 06-15-2005, 05:57 AM
josh

Default Low cost dual homed network setup

Hi all

Just found this forum the other day. Been searching around the forum and havn't really found what I am looking for. Basically I am looking to setup a dual homed network for my colocation need. I am looking to get two providers with gige connection each. Getting two gig capacity doesnt mean I will be using full two gig of bandwidth. My projection is probably 500 - 1000mbps within 12 months. What router/switchs would you suggest me using. This is for a low budget network. So, dont suggest something that is super highend and super expensive.

PS: I know I should talk to network engineer/consultant. I just like to get a few ideas before talking to network engineer.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Admin

First of all how many computers do you wish to put on those GIGe's?

Also what do you intend to use it for. My recommendations will vary depending on what you want to use the equipment for.

By the way, GIGe's are far from budget internet connections, a budget connection would probably be 1 to 10 megabits per second.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:57 PM
josh

Roughly about 100 servers. They will be leased to customer as dedicated servers.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:47 PM

That's alot of bandwidth for just 100 machines. You will want to check out a higher end layer 3 switch. Extreme Networks, Foundry, Cisco... and of the big names can be gotted on the secondary market for reasonable prices.

Aaron