Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 AM

Default What are your must have tools

For a best data center you must have desktops and laptops with high memory, because to store data you need a large amount of hard drive space and you need desktops and laptops for quick access.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM

I can think of many tools someone who works in and manages a datacenter would need. Both soft and hard types. For starters, good procedures that are enforced and policies to support both. That alone eliminates many human errors that can happen in a datacenter. Monitoring software and messaging systems with properly configured thresholds would be another tool that is a must have. This eliminates false alerts and improves high severity alerting , sometimes before it becomes high severity, if you have the ability to monitor to a very granular level. Then there is security, both for access and monitoring. Depeding on your needs, you need to monitor who is going in and how they get in not to mention, watching them while they are in there. Now to the fun stuff, the hard tools. yes a laptop is nice, we all have cellphones, no biggie. but what about properly equipped crash carts, server lifts, equipment carts and tools? I can not imagine having employees working without safe and comfortable equipment. Nothing is worse than seeing a network tech or vendor having to hold thier laptop for hours, the cost of a nice cart with keyboard, video and mouse ability, not to mention a spare UPS (i find the ups adds weight on the bottom and stabilizes a tall narrow cart quite well) is minimal considered how much faster and easier it is for the techs to work on. Then a good server lift for the heavy stuff and this way you dont need 2 techs at a site after hours for a lot of install/removals, one can do it on most equipment. These tools can pay for themselves over time, so sell the return of investment when arguing for the purchase. And one last thought, I personally have on me my leathermen at all times, that thing does so much for a quick fix to most small problems and I also have a belt clipped pouch with rack nut tool, coal miners led flashlight, small hand held flashlight, needle nose pliers, tape measure, razor knife, linemans pliers, infrared temperature guage and small laser. There isnt anything I can not do on a regular basis with that tool set! Did I miss anything!? Let me know!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 PM

I often use my Black berry to make all these stuff done
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Out of all the hardware tools I had when I worked as a tech in a data center the tool I lamented being out of batteries more than anything was my label maker.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 AM

For me, besides all above also one more to have tool called dynamic Datacenter Toolkit for Hosters. It allows you to create a private or public cloud offering based on microsoft#s Hyper-V and System Center Enterprise Suite.http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/DDTKH...-Code-d0cb4152
Old 01-15-2015, 06:24 PM

It depends on what your job is. If you're the IT Director, you need your cell phone.

If you're a tech, well, you need some actual hand tools (don't forget the grounding strap!).

But everyone needs a brain, the most important tool, and oddly enough, the tool that is most often left at home.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 PM

Default Most important tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post
What are your most have tools for your data center? I am not just thinking about hosting tools but also things like your IPhone or SmartPhone or any other tools that you use to help your data center run smoothly.
In my views, for any datacenter monitoring tool is most important. It empowers you to have visibility on health of datacenter and proactively prepares you for anything wrong.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:18 AM

I have a laptop, a toughbook. It's strong, and regardless of what I do to it, it declines to get rid of. I back-up information on it, and i've decreased it from those little server appears a few periods, and nothing ever smashes on it. I also now have an iPad and an iPhone almost at all time.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:10 AM

For me Max2Go, PUE Estimator and Virsto One are must have tools.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 24x7servermanagement

I would suggest Laptop, internet (Off-course! )connection, antivirus installed on it, smartphone (Yeah! It is necessary in some cases. ), monitoring tools (needed in some situations!). That's it!