Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Newbie : Data Center Deployment

Hi Guys,

I am new here and need some of the gurus to advice on some of the questions I have in mind about setting up a data center.

Generally, I am working with a small hosting company in Malaysia and right now we are planning of switching the data center to a new provider. At the moment, we are co locating our servers with one of the player in Malaysia - they provide bandwidth, IP and server rack for us. But we have decided to change as of the poor network and support we have received.

Moving to the next stage, we will be getting our own IP block from APNIC and the same, we will be leasing bandwidth and server rack as well as floor space from 3rd party. After calculating the cost at the new provider, it's about 40-50% of overhead of what we are paying right now.

Thus, we have an idea of perhaps getting our floor space and pulling our own bandwidth as of the equipment that we will be purchasing - router, core switch ..etc is almost the same as we will be putting on an own DC. However, we are stuck on how does those bandwidth provider play the games - does it as easy as pulling the cable and setting up the exchange with other ISP ? How much will that cost of getting our own cabling with own bandwidth ? Where should we source for this kind of information and provider?

Thanks for your time for reading this :-)
Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM

I assume you mean "how do i get connectivity into my rack(s)".

Its very easy just call one of the carriers in Malaysia and ask for a dedicated internet line into your rack where ever your new DC is located.

What type of business do you have?

Global Solutions for your WAN, Hosting & Voice
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Your new colo provider should be able to tell you which providers are present in their building - by using someone that has already created a PoP in that data centre should save you a fair whack of money from your installation and also ongoing opex costs.

Tags
setup new data center