Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Cisco Switches

What can you tell me about cisco switches and their prices. I am interested in changing over and would like to know more about it.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by attagirl View Post
What can you tell me about cisco switches and their prices. I am interested in changing over and would like to know more about it.
What kind of switches are you using today? Why do you want to change? What pain points are you currently having with your vendor? What needs do you have? Believe it or not Cisco makes a great deal of switches for different needs.

I see this in all your posts, you don't provide information. If you don't want to provide information and ask detailed questions don't post at all...
Old 12-10-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey View Post
I see this in all your posts, you don't provide information. If you don't want to provide information and ask detailed questions don't post at all...
Exactly what i was thinking, you only ask one lined questions without explaining yourself and give background info.,
How do you expect people to give you a good advice?

In general:
I've been using Cisco for about 8 years now and it's good and decent stuff, and good quality comes with a certain price tag
Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 PM

Well this is my first data center, and I want to know what is available, how much the various switches cost, you really do not need to be rude about it. Not everyone here is considered to be an expert, and if you really do not want to help then fine. How do you get to more detailed questions without first getting some of the basics?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attagirl View Post
Well this is my first data center, and I want to know what is available, how much the various switches cost, you really do not need to be rude about it. Not everyone here is considered to be an expert, and if you really do not want to help then fine. How do you get to more detailed questions without first getting some of the basics?
It would be easier to render a suggestion if someone asked what kind of switch is good for running net backups, or what switch is out there that can suit your capacity needs if you need something with 96+ ports and 10gig fiber uplink capability. If someone asked me a question like that then I would immeidately rattle off the top of my head things like the 6509-e or the 7606-s. It just brings everything into a context and it's becomes more clear.

As far as the retail price for Cisco equipment I couldn't tell you. I can't remember the last time I paid retail for anything that goes into our data center. We purchase our equipment through various resellers (because you can't buy direct for most things) and get them at super discounted rates because the reseller is able to purchase in bulk (relatively speaking). The reseller would have multiple clients wanting a plethora of different things. They're able to match up the orders and submit one larger order which makes companies like Cisco very happy. Or maybe our one order is large enough on its own to invite some kind or rebate. We also take advantage of end-of-year sales that most all manufacturers do to get the old stock out and make room for the new.

For example we just purchased 30 3650-e (I think) from Cisco and we paid almost $2000 each. I do believe the retail on it because of the configuration and features is closer to $7000 each. Don't quote me on that price though because I don't have the numbers right in front of me. Your best resource is to speak with a reseller in your area. If you ever have questions about purchasing or pricing they can tell you better than anyone else.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

A few questions that would assist us all in further:

What port density do you require?
What speeds do you require?
What is your basic architecture - are you going to be running a collapsed core, or access, distribution and core which all require a verying type of switch?
Are you wanting to perform any layer 3 functions of the switches?
What type of media will you be using?