Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-30-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Modular Datacenters...Your thoughts!

what do you think about modular data centers (containers)? my firm here in Africa is pushing solutions from AST-Global in spain (its called smart shelter). i think its wonderful! thats why everyone's moving that way; from sun, rackable, verari etc...what do you think?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:59 AM

I think its splendid but it couldnt cater to high density server racks (big iron, main frame)if the need arises...otherwise, thats really thinking out of the box
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 AM

The only Container solution I have seen is from SUN, the Black Box. All you needed to get it working is UPS power and Chilled Water!! If you have enough of these then it would be better to find floor space somewhere, that way you can install any type of hardware, there wouldn't be any restrictions, even a Mainframe.

I don't understand why anybody would need this type of solution, although I would interested to learn from others.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Containers are nice for rapid deployment, portability and modularity -- but certainly not for everyone. Here is a quick summary of container products from several vendors: Data Center Containers.

Ken
Old 12-26-2009, 06:55 AM

oh HP's pod are also good , i have seen couple of them, thought they are really costly. ($1.2 Million) for a POD. But being a datacenter in a box not bad for large companies.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Default Containerized Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagine View Post
what do you think about modular data centers (containers)? my firm here in Africa is pushing solutions from AST-Global in spain (its called smart shelter). i think its wonderful! thats why everyone's moving that way; from sun, rackable, verari etc...what do you think?
Containerized solutions are still evloving. They are definitely the way of the future but the industry is in desparate need of some basic standards. As soon as the current vendors get together and develop such things as standard locations to connect the power, cooling and communications this industry will grow rapidly.

See my article on Containers in the January/February 2009 edition of Mission Critical Magazine Home - Mission Critical
Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 PM

Default Micro Conatiners

Being involved in the building of prototypes for HP, Rackable, and others I became a bit frustrated with the size and complexity. I wanted to find a more manageable solution with the same benefits, better energy efficiency (PUE), and TCO. I found it! Elliptical Mobile Solutions
Old 01-29-2010, 03:12 PM

Hi techies,

Being a electrical engineer, I turned the tables and came to CS .. Nice to be with you all as I am new to the technology and involved in a website designing and of-course backing the project up with a backend maintenance.. even I tried hard but couldn't manage .. as the client bugs me alot..could you help me in this regard. Help me with tips while working with DCs.. Planing to start a firm ..

Regards,
Dany.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:45 PM

Smile

I think all these container based DC solutions from HP/SUN/IBM...I would say you will be stuck in the box, and may not be able to think out side the box due to your limitations
It's good for a quick/rapid deployments, but on the other hand if business is small size or expansion is expected your growth may be hinder by it's physical limitations. On the other hand if the same amount of money is spent sensibly on planning and building a real DC, the result can be great.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 AM

The Modular Datacenter should designed for rapid deployment, energy efficiency and computing density. Should easy to shift anywhere in the world.