Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 01-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Default wireless network tester?

Hi,

Is there any tool to check wireless signal like RJ-45 tester? If so, let me know.

Thanks
Juan
Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Hi juandc,

There is quite a variety of wireless test equipment available, from very simple, like the WiFi Seeker to sophisticated spectrum analyzers, like Anritsu's. What is it you want the tool to do?

Ken
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Hi Ken,

Is it secure to have wireless networking for financial institution? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Juan
Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Administrator

This is where you call in a network security expert. Since wireless traffic is available to everyone within range, the risk of someone decoding the information is real. I think a financial institution would need a big benefit to risk its data being compromised.

Ken
Old 01-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Juan,
Good Morning. In regards to security of a wireless network, I must stress that you can never be fully secure. The most secure way that I have seen a wifi infrastructure setup is by using a Multi level security infrastructure. For example, have a wifi network that is encrypted with the highest level of encryption and making it so that the wireless network is not fully attached to your network. Basically make it so that you can only get to 1 IP on your network which would be a VPN server which will create an encrypted tunnel over the already encrypted wifi signal. This is of course a waste of time/money unless you can really really justify it! I would rather use the extra money to run more ethernet ports!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Yes we can increase the security in wireless networks but still i dont find it suitable for financial institutions to use it and put their important data at stake.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 PM

I agree with most of the comments given. There are several encryption types to choose from but there is a way to get rid of these encryptions via Wi-Fi and these instructions are available on the web for free. Don’t rely that much on Wi-Fi encryption security.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Wireless systems have always been more prone to attacks and vulnerabilities than wired networks, and with such valuable data at stake risk should not ne taken. I agree with Ken that wireless security experts should be called but even they have to live with shortcomings of the network.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:38 PM

Well since this is really a thread about testing the wireless system I think that we should focus more on testing, although security is important as well. There are many ways that it can be tested to insure that you are getting a signal, I would recommend doing a search and then comparing what is available.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Default nice tricks

i actually looking for the best tool ,, can you help me for my web

Last edited by budz01; 01-15-2009 at 01:25 PM.