Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Storage: Disk, RAID and NAS/SAN

Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 PM

Default Migrating from NAS to SAN

I got a assignment at work to migrate data from NAS to SAN. I believe data is around 1 TB. What are the things I need to consider? This is what I plan to do.

1. Buy 2 HBA cards
2. SAN switch or may be direct connection
3. Can you recommend some SAN Disk? I'm thinking to go with EMC, but expensive compare to dell or hp or hitachi.
4. We are running RedHat.

Please provide any comments. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

What is your budget?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

On the high level migrations thoughts:

Make sure you have everything in place and tested before you even attempt your migration - whether that be getting a couple of new servers to front end your access or the such and make sure that everything works as you expect.

rsync will be your friend for this migration too depending on your file structure, but you can do a slow sync of all the data, and then just the bit level before you actually do the big change. You will want to keep in mind applications that may have to be taken offline for them to sync correctly (ie: applications that hold open files)
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM

How exactly you do you like to have your design? You can come up with different king of SAN design. I believe you are going with basic design. As Schumie suggested, sync carefully and do a full test on all the applications.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to bfinley

If you're looking to get EMC, but worried about the pricing, have you ever thought of trying refurbished? It's a fraction of the price. My company offers refurbished EMC SAN and SAN related hardware. Let me know what kind of specifics you require and I can help you out with a cheap, but 100% reliable EMC solution. We guarantee all of out equipment with a 1 year warranty that comes standard with every piece of equipment that leaves our facility.

Brendan Finley
Rockland IT Solutions
Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 AM

I read an article according to which first install the replication technology on the source server and set up the new platform (which in is to initialize the SAN solution). Since the mirroring and replication occur while the users are still operating on the production platform, most of the requirements for the weekend outage are nullified. Once the mirror is complete and replication is keeping up, then the users can be switched, at will.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
I got a assignment at work to migrate data from NAS to SAN. I believe data is around 1 TB. What are the things I need to consider? This is what I plan to do.

1. Buy 2 HBA cards
2. SAN switch or may be direct connection
3. Can you recommend some SAN Disk? I'm thinking to go with EMC, but expensive compare to dell or hp or hitachi.
4. We are running RedHat.

Please provide any comments. Thanks in advance.
Hi Morgan,

I work with IBM and I was just reading your post and wanted to leave you with some information about IBM Total Storage Solutions. Depending on what your budget is there are some very good pieces of hardware available to help you do what you need.

You can look at the IBM DS3000 this would be a good starting point and also very affordable. I will leave some info and if you have any further question or would like some more information I would be glad to help you out.

IBM DS3000 storage info:

IBM System Storage DS3200 : Overview - IBM System Storage Disk Systems

IBM System Storage DS3200 : Features and Benefits - IBM System Storage Disk Systems

IBM Entry Level Disk Storage: Overview - IBM System Storage

I hope this helps and possibly put IBM up for consideration for this project. I If you have any questions please feel free to message me either via private message or email @ sversa@ca.ibm.com

Cheers,
Steve