Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Default PM interval tolerance

Suppose you have a quarterly PM requirement for a piece of equipment. Since we can't expect that the PMs will be completed in exactly a 90day interval, what is the acceptable tolerance? Is there an industry standard to reference?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 AM

Preventive Maintenance is vital part of datacenter operations. It is very importent to keep all critical piece in healthy state to minimize the downtime. PM shall always be planned in such a way that all critical piece and equipments are covered in timely manner with minimum delays.

Prepare the PM schedule as per the criticality of equipment and publish to stakeholders. Also publish the downtime plan ( if PM is causing any end user impact).

while planning for PM schedule you can affort to have +- 2 weeks tolerance time. This delay/early PM can be due to various business reasons.

Try not to have any ignorance for following pieces in datacenters.

1 Airconditionors.
2 Power units
3 UPSs
4 Air flow ducts or coolents.
5 Core devices
and more..

Have a timely PM and enjoy better experience in datacenter.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecommis View Post
Preventive Maintenance is vital part of datacenter operations. It is very importent to keep all critical piece in healthy state to minimize the downtime. PM shall always be planned in such a way that all critical piece and equipments are covered in timely manner with minimum delays.

Prepare the PM schedule as per the criticality of equipment and publish to stakeholders. Also publish the downtime plan ( if PM is causing any end user impact).

while planning for PM schedule you can affort to have +- 2 weeks tolerance time. This delay/early PM can be due to various business reasons.

Try not to have any ignorance for following pieces in datacenters.

1 Airconditionors.
2 Power units
3 UPSs
4 Air flow ducts or coolents.
5 Core devices
and more..

Have a timely PM and enjoy better experience in datacenter.
The 2 week +- tolerance is where I was for a quarterly. That seems reasonable. Recently someone referenced "industry standard" with a much tighter tolerance (+- 1 week). I wanted to see what everyone here thought. I'm interested in opinion as well as any documented standards.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

I'm aware of the Uptime Institute's white paper on "operational sustainability" as it relates to their Tier Standards (latest version available after registration here http://uptimeinstitute.com/component...sustainability), but it makes no mention of a 1 or 2 week tolerance.

I'd be interested in the industry standard referenced by your colleague.

Ken
Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I'm aware of the Uptime Institute's white paper on "operational sustainability" as it relates to their Tier Standards (latest version available after registration here http://uptimeinstitute.com/component...sustainability), but it makes no mention of a 1 or 2 week tolerance.

I'd be interested in the industry standard referenced by your colleague.

Ken
My guess is he doesn't really know of a standard. I hoped to either find the standard here, or in lieu of a standard, find out what tolerances others were operating within.