Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:35 AM

Default noise control

how does one go about controlling the noise levels in the data center? our employees find it very difficult to hear each other in the IT room, and it is quite taxing to scream all the time.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM

the noise is mainly because of the cooling fans which cant be turned off without having hazardous consequences. i dont see a way around that. i guess you have to instruct your clients before entering the data center itself.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM

noise control is really not possible in a data center just like how it is impossible to hear someone in a hydro-electric plant. My first thought was to suggest sound proofing the computer room. but i can see how it is not feasible for it will be very expensive and it can affect the cooling too. I'm afraid that's something you just cant do anything about.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Administrator

We were able to reduce noise levels in a particularly loud data center by installing some anechoic panels on the walls. There are a variety of active and passive noise control techniques available for data centers. Try data center noise control.

Ken
Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM

neat link..but they only keep describing the characteristics of a noise absorbing material. is there any material that satisfies all those characters?