Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General > Suggestions, Feedback, and Site News

Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Default 7 Tips on Working at Your Computer

Hello
We usually must spend many hours in front of our computers. Establishing correct placement of monitor, keyboard and mouse along with assuring comfortable sitting height and posture can go along way toward reducing desk related injury and increasing health and productivity. Here are seven helpful computer workstation tips toward working healthier, increasing productivity and minimizing injury.

1. Get the CPU off of the desk. It should be within arm's reach if you need to insert a memory stick, CD or DVD, but the day of the floppy is long gone, so save the valuable desk real estate for important projects instead of the CPU.
2. Position work surface so that your feet rest flat on the floor. You can use a footrest if needed. Legs should comfortably fit underneath and posture should be upright assuring good blood flow to the legs. Get up and stretch regularly.
3. Keyboard should be at a comfortable height where upper arm can relax, not placed to high where you have to lift your shoulders to use the keyboard creating undue stress on shoulders and neck. It should have a slight tilt toward you.
4. Elbows should be at right angles to allow the wrists to be straight. So you can type with your fingers alone and not stress the entire upper body. This can also minimize the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome. Frequent breaks are a must, so pace your workflow to do typing and then perhaps filing (documents not nails J), or other non-repetitive task.
5. Monitor should be placed directly in front of you and centered. Turning your neck or holding it to one side can cause neck tension and headaches. It should be at least the width of the monitor away from you to avoid excess eye strain.
6. Keep your back against the back rest of the chair and invest in a good ergonomically designed chair that supports lower back. Sitting on an unsuitable chair for extended periods of time is the fastest way toward back, neck, shoulder and other physical problems associated with long periods at the workstation.
7. Take regular breaks. Even a 1 minute break to get up and stretch is helpful to get the blood circulating better in addition to regular longer breaks. Your work will be more efficient and productive.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 AM

1.Monitor should be placed directly in front of you and centered.
2.Elbows should be at right angles to allow the wrists to be straight
3.Take regular breaks. E
4.Keyboard should be at a comfortable height where upper arm can relax,
5.Position work surface so that your feet rest flat on the floor
6.Get the CPU off of the desk. It should be within arm's reach if you need to insert a memory stick, CD or DVD,
7.Sitting on an unsuitable chair for extended periods of time is the fastest way toward back, neck, shoulder and other physical problems
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 AM

Very informative. These tips are very useful as DIY PC maintenance.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM

Thank you for this article. One goal of mine this year is to increase the width space of my bedroom for my pc to fit in properly. Because my only working chair is my bed as well, as I don't have enough bedroom space for a comfortable chair to fit in, hehehe
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Accountsden Send a message via Yahoo to Accountsden

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this techniques. I am working in IT department and maximum hours spend on my computer in a day. So these all are very beneficial foe me and my other IT friends...
Old 04-18-2011, 04:27 PM

We usually have to absorb abounding hours in foreground of our computers. Some helpful tips are;
- Get the CPU off of the desk.
- Position work surface so that your feet rest flat on the floor.
- Keyboard should be at a comfortable height
- Elbows should be at right angles to allow the wrists to be straight.
- Monitor should be placed directly in front of you and centred.
- Take regular breaks.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:26 AM

Thanks for 7 tips here, they are very nice, clear and informative
Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 AM

One more tip I want to mention here that cleaning of your computer. You have to clean your computer in a month. It can increase your computer hardware life.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 AM

That is very nice suggestions for using computers, I will definitely follow this and also suggest to my friends...
Old 09-11-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenL_Leon View Post
Personally, I would like to keep myself hydrated at all times and keep my back up straight. Long periods of fixation towards computer monitors could really dry up your eyes and cause fatigue. Definitely take breaks to relieve your body at times.
One more piece of advice is to take a break after every 2 hours. This will help increase productivity. I noticed that after spending hours in front of your pc and you do not take a break, you'll end up achieving nothing. So get to know how long you can concentrate and go on a break when you reach your limit.