Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 06-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Default build a cabinet around a rack?

The ILEC in my area has some mux gear installed in the Telco Entrance Room of my datacenter. It's in a pair of 23-inch central-office style relay racks. Some CLECs are also installing muxes into locked cabinets in the same room. For security, I'd prefer to have the ILEC's mux in cabinets also, but can't move them.

Is anyone aware of a security enclosure that can be installed around an existing 23-inch relay rack? (no, I don't mean a cage ).
Old 08-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Ziti,

From what you are asking about, you are probably not going to find an out of the box solution. This will most likely require a custom build.
Some question I have for you is:
- How are the cables delivered to the cabinet? Are they brought in overhead or through the bottom?
- How tall is the relay rack?
- How good do you want the final installation to look?

There are alternative solutions to this problem however, since it is a relay rack, you will only be able to do the front of the cabinet most likely. You can do a google search on "23" Security Covers" or replace "Covers" with Doors and it will point you to rack mount security covers/doors that you can install in the rack. The downfall is that they are rack mountable. The downfall being that they can easily be removed if not installed right. If you were to go this route, I would recommend installing the panel the recommended way but doing an extra step by putting a nut in the back of the rail that you are screwing in to. The nut would idealy not have a washer on it that will prevent it from easily being removed...the name for this washer is slipping my mind right now. The reason for not using this type of washer is that it will be easier to remove as it will not offer any resistance for removing. Coupled with some lock-tight, these screws will be difficult to remove. Chances are the screw heads will get stripped before the panel can be removed.

If you give me the answers to the questions, perhaps I can recommend a semi decent way of altering a cabinet to fit these requirements. I have not seen a solution that will allow for this sort of an alteration, out of the box; however, I cannot say that I have ever been in your situation before.

Sorry if parts of this make no sense...I am not the best at brainstorming online in text

Regards,
--Keith