Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Default networking tool to check carriers

Hi,

Is there any web tool or anything there that tracks global network issues. For an example if there is a problem with major carrier how can we find out about it?

Thank You
Juan
Old 07-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Hi,

I don't there is a web tool to monitor all the carriers connection. I would recommend you to go to their website and check their news, but if you find any website, please let me know as well.

Thank You
David K.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 AM
UmbrellaGroup

Cool This might help.

I use www.broadbandreports.com when I need information on a carrier or to run bandwidth tests for my clients. This is not exactly what you are asking for but I think you will find it helpful.

Good Luck.
Dave Kleren
dkleren@the-umbrella-group.com
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 AM

I always have this up http://www.internetpulse.net/
Old 12-12-2007, 04:24 AM

I use Tobi Oetiker's Smokeping. I traceroute into major networks, and find the first IP that's pingable, and make a graphing/alarming target out of that. This helps to test latency and loss from my network into each of those networks at the nearest major NAP. Outbound packets from my own transit carriers will enter into each of those other backbones at the nearest major NAP, regardless of the destination location, and performance from my network into each of those carriers is critical. Each of those peering sessions carries 5+% of my outbound packets.

If your hosting is regional in focus, you can also pick a set of businesses in your market area, with one target singly-homed to each major carrier, and ping them. This helps you spot problems with packets getting into your own transit carriers' networks in your market, or at your nearest major NAP.

If your focus is national or global, then you would want to pick a set of targets, with one target that is singly-homed to each major carrier's network in each major market. For example, if you buy transit from MegaNet, SuperCarrier and BigTier in Dallas, but not TierZero, then you ping someone in Miami who is single-homed to TierZero, to verify that packets are getting from TierZero into one of your transit provires, without problems, in the Miami market.

If you ping two or three destinations on 10 carrier networks in 20 different markets, that gives you a pretty good idea of who is sucking wind, where.