Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Default what factors we need to check for datacenter review?

We are in process of building a small datacenter. When users or client review the dataceneter, what are the main factors they look for? Please share with me.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 PM

for co-location they are looking for SAS70 type II certification, what level of LEED certification you have, price, access, security, power, etc....
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Also, you need to check some of the design principals.Good architectures are critical to designing complex, network-oriented systems, including datacenters. Historically, architectures have provided the solid frameworks onto which applications can be deployed. Increasingly, however, they are also providing the flexible, scalable foundation that helps datacenters cope with change.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

The very large customers I've generally dealt with start by thinking they are asking the right questions (do you have this certificate, or have you passed this?) but ultimately, when you start explaining to them the more specifics - power services for example, that you provide true dual feed fed from two independent UPS's, which are fed from 2 independent ATS's, which are fed from two different substation feeds which are on two separate utility providers and separate generators, and you regularly test this under load etc.. then they do usually start asking more in depth questions which are pertinent.

Things I would be asking about: Power, Cooling, Security, Available providers in the facility with contact details for the account managers that know about this, references from other large customers so that I can speak with them.

I'd also ask about their processes for: employing people, remote hands requests

In addition to the above if what they have advised, and what I have seen is up to scratch, I'd then want to be reviewing the SLA which they provide - does it match my business. Can they provide the levels of resiliency guaranteed by penalty should they fail etc..
Old 01-09-2009, 07:18 PM

If you are planning to run critical applications. I would recommend to check DR (disaster recovery) solution as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Thank you for all of your suggestions and inputs.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:09 PM

all of the above and dont forget what is included in the pricing you receive, this can add up fast ie remote hands charges or reboots or OS reloads or other addons

it is definitely a competitive business so you should be able to find a reliable host or datacenter just check the fine print also
Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 AM

In my view users mainly focus on bandwidth, reliability, QoS, and so forth. So, there are numerous factors of which some important ones are Building Security, Power Monitoring and power systems etc...
Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

power system backup, cooling solutions, data security, data backup, options for future scalability. these are some of the areas that need special attention.