Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 03-03-2006, 11:14 PM
MattO

Question Data Center Developers?

Hi everyone,
I am new to the site but have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and ideas regarding data centers, their infastructure, power/security requirements, etc. I work for a commercial real estate firm in Texas and was wondering if you guys might be able to help me out. Does anyone know/ have experience with any commercial developers in regards to building a free standing data center? Not sure if there is a developer out there who specializes in data center construction or not. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:06 PM
bw_franko

Hello,

There are many factors involving in design. I would recommend you to have a look at following thread.

http://datacentertalk.com/showthread.php?t=572

How many square feet is your datacenter?
You need to have very good cooling system.
Backup power
Design & layout
IT solution providers
Disaster discovery plan
Enterprise monitoring system
Fire protection and safety
Physical security
Open rack or closed rack solution

What are the parts have you completed? Have you checked out Sun’s datacenter design simulator?
Old 03-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

Lee Technologies is a "Mission Critical Infrastructure Soliution Provider". They do design and construction management for data centers. Lee Tech recently opened an office in TX. I'm sure that they can help you out.
www.leetechnologies.com
Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 PM
MattO

Thank you for your responses and links to more information. I don't know too much about data centers (learning a lot off this site) and right now I am just looking at potential land sites for which to build the data center. In terms of square footage, the building would probably be at least 40,000 sf. I am in the the preliminary stages of just trying to find out some general info so thanks again for your help.

Matt
Old 03-10-2006, 07:01 AM
sr223

Matt,

I trade in surplus telecom and networking gear, along with data center infrastructure, and there are quite a few spe############ts that design and construct data centers. However, why not just buy someone else's data center? Chances are there is a closed or failing facility for sale if you just ask the question.

Call me to discuss. (805) 968-3800 x223
-Scott
Old 03-10-2006, 01:48 PM

Yes, there are existing data centers available. But be careful to understand your power and cooling needs before buying an existing facility - or building a new one for that matter. There's a saying in real estate that you make your money when you buy the property, rather than when you sell it. But getting a good price for a property that won't meet your customer's specs is no bargain. The data center real estate market has really heated up again, and a lot of folks are building from the ground up or retrofitting industrial sites. This tells you that true "turnkey" surplus data centers are starting to get scarce.
News and analysis for data center professionals
Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

I'm seeing the same trend in ATL. Empty data centers are getting scarce and the ones that are available are not fitted out for today's technology. Thank god!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Ham S

Default Data Center Developer Reply

I'm in the business of finding data centers for corporate users and investors. Someone I strongly recommend you contact is Mark DiStefano of Nova Construction based in New Jersey. Mark not only has one of the top data center resumes in the business but he is extremely practical and tends to be far less costly than some of the other "name brand" data center design/construction firms. I've worked with Mark on data center acquisitions for a number of name-brand technology/internet companies. He is well worth a call. You can contact me at (619) 654-4515 if you would like his number.

Good luck!

Ham
Old 04-24-2006, 11:18 AM
snadro

Datacenter Solutions,

Is a world leader in building of Datacenters.
We have also a planing group with architects and Engineers.

We are specialized in Modular High Secure Datacenter.

you can watch more details on our website www.dc-s.ch, or cantact us directly under kraft@dc.s.ch
Old 05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
kjbaudry

We are brokers, developers, engineers, project managers.

We represent Tenants and Landlords, Acquisition and Disposition. We have info on a lot of data centers across the US. Most good facilities have been acquired. The bulk of what's left suffers from some age, outdated standards, etc.

For a credit tenant, we can purchase an existing data center, renovate it to a user’s requirements and lease or sell it to them. We typically don’t do this on spec. We can also purchase-upgrade-lease back a customers existing center. We can turn-key from ground up or convert an existing facility.

Ken Baudry
KJBaudry, Inc.
"Where Real Estate and Technology Meet"
102 Bombay Lane
Roswell, Georgia 30328
770-512-8554 (O)
404-509-2231 (M)
www.kjbaudry.com
www.AvailableDataCenters.com