Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 AM

Default Frequent power cuts

I live in a place where the power cut is so often during the summer season. And that too this year, we had a production shortfall. So the government itself had announced a powercut at various timings everyday. Now that the industries face a power cut of 5 hours daily during the daytime. I really do not know how to get out of this big problem because i need to shell out much money for generators.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

You might investigate cogeneration. I don't know where you're from, but your government may offer incentives to companies that can help reduce peak loads and contribute power to the grid.

Ken
Old 10-11-2008, 01:50 AM

Oops, i forgot to mention that point dude. The hours of power cuts have been increased. The government told the companies to run with the help of generators. But the pathetic situation is that, in the market we get diesel for 10$ (1 Lit) and the government has told them to buy it from a company for 13$ per lit(this is an example. but 25% hike in price). This cannot be tolerated.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Why not get a 2.25 Megawatt Diesel generator installed just like VISI did for its St. Paul data center. They installed the generator under the streets of a major city. If you can do something like that, it will surely sort your problems out.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Well, you have to be able to function in business. If you do not have a choice you need to find something that will work for you just as VISI did. I think that often we fail to see that the government does not care about our business as long as they continue to run without interruption.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 PM

This may be way out of your range and area, but have you looked into tieing into another substation feed if it's available to you? Fully redundant data centers will have multiple utility feeds coming from unique sub stations or power grids so that utility outages have a smaller profile of impacts and outages.

Of course, this is a long term and large scale investment. Some centers won't have them because it might come with a million dollar price tag to run a unique utility feed from where ever its junctioned. Sometimes you might get lucky and already have the unique feeds running close by and it's a simple matter of running a line back to your ATS.

Another costly option is to use rack mounted UPS or a stand alone UPS separate from the primary UPS' that's already conditioning the power for your data center. This is a customary practice for firms that are involved with some sort of power maintenance. Some business even use rack mounted UPS as a permanent solution to add more time to a black out window. Some rack mounted UPS can give you a couple more hours of up time in the event of an outage (depending on individual rack load).

I've seen places where they just have a handful of systems and place the critical systems on the rack mounted ups. A stand alone unit is much bigger and usually requires at least the equivalent footprint of a rack. But that can supply power to several racks depending on density.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:41 AM

The power problem in data centers is very common, Through surveys, it has been seen that a large of power is wasted in data centers. So, optimum and efficient power consumption should be ensured in the DCs.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Most of the Asian countries I came across are cursed with power problems. It would be better that you opt for solar or other alternative energy sources rather than relying on diesel or any type of fossil fuels for power generation.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 PM

I currently live in Thailand and I can also state that the power supply is definitely not stable enough for a good data center. The only way to work around this would be to have large generators.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

I agree. Large generators would be the first choice/option to choose. Second would be the solar panels, as those are very pricy especially in Asia.