Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 AM
warpedmind9000

Default Need Advice on Cabinet Air Flow

Hi Everyone,

We are about to move into a new Datacenter. We currently have 28
Hergo Saturn42 Server Cabinet; 24" Wide x 42" Deep x 42U (73.5") High

http://www.hergo.com/XQ/ASP/category...a/QX/index.htm

all lined up side by side. The data center techs seemed fit to remove the side panels from
all of the cabs except the two ends. This effectively makes the 28 cabs into 1 giant
cab.

These cabs will be filled with approx 38 17" 1U servers and at least 2 cabs will have 3-4U servers.

There is a fan on inside the top of each cab.

there are no raised floors and the HVAC Ducts are positioned DIRECTLY above the row.

My questions are:

1. How will airflow/heat be effected because of the lack of side panels. I know the air/heat will be able to traverse the cabs but is it something I need to be concerned about?

2. will the fan on the inside help or hinder airflow

3. Should we have the datacenter techs replace the side panels we never asked them to take them off.

Thanks in advance for your help

Luis
Old 06-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Have the techs do it right and re-install the side panels. There is no way you can control airflow without them, especially with the mix of equipment you plan. Second, any attempt to control air with fans inside (or on top of) the cabinets will fail, since the desired airflow for most gear is strictly front-to-back. Finally, it seems foolish to construct a 56' wall of racks without some sort of break -- two rows of 14 cabinets will be much easier to service.

My 2 cents.

Ken
Old 06-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Have the techs do it right and re-install the side panels. There is no way you can control airflow without them, especially with the mix of equipment you plan. Second, any attempt to control air with fans inside (or on top of) the cabinets will fail, since the desired airflow for most gear is strictly front-to-back. Finally, it seems foolish to construct a 56' wall of racks without some sort of break -- two rows of 14 cabinets will be much easier to service.

My 2 cents.

Ken

I would concur with Ken's findings. Simply tell them that the lack of cabinet sides does not meet your specifications and tell them why it doesn't.

A 56' row of cabinets may be functional, but it makes operations very painful for those who have their cabinets in the middle of such a row and have to make frequent trips from front to rear.

Having fan tops on cabinets as is worthwhile as using cable management devices that come with servers. But thats another discussion.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 PM
warpedmind9000

Thanks for your input guys,

however it seems that the powers that be have over ruled and we are in a time crunch. for this move.

I agree about the 56' length that is going to be fun to contend with. but the site row was purchased and then I came into the position so there is only so much I can change.

But this is a great group and thank you for the quick response I look forward to being a regular and also contributing member.

Luis
Old 07-29-2007, 08:10 PM

If you're forced to have the side panels gone... I wonder if you could craft some panels that would block the airflow between one cabinet and the next.

For example, on the cold aisle, if you measure from the left cage-nut holes of one cabinet, leftwards to the right cage-nut holes on the next, and find that it is about 5 inches, then you could make a vertical blanking panel 5 inches wide by 73.5 inches tall. Put one between the rails of each pair of cabinets to block air.

Provided that you have horizontal blanking panels within each cabinet, and no space for air to flow between the cabinets, and all gear is drawing air from the coid aisle, then I'm not sure it matters much that you are not separating the hot inside of the cabinets from one-another.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 PM

If side panels are gone, and you really want to re-partition the racks, plexiglas or plenaform would would work, depending on clearances.

I have 10 blocks of 9 racks that are bolted together...all have their sides off except for the ends. I use hot aisle/cold aisle setup and have no problems. Most racks are operating at about 3kW. My newer racks are up to 6kW. I know I have blade systems on the horizon, but I'm not worried.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedmind9000 View Post
Thanks for your input guys,

however it seems that the powers that be have over ruled and we are in a time crunch. for this move.

I agree about the 56' length that is going to be fun to contend with. but the site row was purchased and then I came into the position so there is only so much I can change.

But this is a great group and thank you for the quick response I look forward to being a regular and also contributing member.

Luis
Don't you just *hate* having to deal and put up with the incompetencies of your previous position holder?