Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 11-03-2004, 08:24 PM
stevy

Default peer1 experience?

We are thinking to move some of our servers to peer1. We have seen good comments about them, do you have any experience?. Their prices seems to be higher compare to fdcservers.net.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:04 PM

I suggest trying out fdcservers, they just brought in a lot of quality bandwidth and improved their network uptime a lot. We have been with them for the last 2 years and although they experienced some problems in the past their service has improved greatly, not too mention their bandwidth prices which are simply unbeatable.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:54 AM
KarlZimmer

FDC prices are unbeatable, but the network simply has no history of constant performance or stability. They did bring in Yipes! as a carrier, using Level(3) bandwidth largely, but the problems have always been internal, not with the carriers.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Hi KarlZimmer,

You mean FDC havin problem with internal network setup?. Can you be more clear.

I personally never had experience with peer1, but hear lots of good comments about their network and services.

Thank You
David.k

Last edited by whcdavid; 11-04-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Jimbob1989

Can someone explain, whats moving? is it the server itself where the discussion server is kept or the webspace?

Jimbob
Old 11-04-2004, 11:15 PM
KarlZimmer

The problem with FDC has always been overloading internal circuits, such as the circuits between switches, etc. That is one of their ways of limiting bandwidth usage, using a 48 port switch, but then only having one GigE uplink. Although everyone has a 100mbit/sec port things become congested at around 20mbit/sec. Then after that from the core switches to the routers you'd likely reach another choke point. For the price you can't really do any better, but if your goals are speed and reliability look elsewhere.

As for Peer1 they have a great network, had some issues with them on the support side of things though. I also am not a fan of them now owning ServerBeach and competing with one of their larger client bases, dedicated server sellers.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:21 AM
FHDave

Peer1 is good for the money. I would go with Peer1 over FDC, even though it's more expensive. However, having said this, I recently had a ~50 minutes outage with Peer1 off Telehouse/NYC. Not happy with the outage, but more importantly, not happy with how the outage was handled. Called their NOC and their NOC was not aware that the outage was going on until I pointed the person. I still wondered how their advertised redundant routers with HSRP did not function at all. Few days after the outage, I still did not hear any update from them regarding and any resolution on it, even after I requested it.

In short, Peer1 is good for the money. But I think they are too ambitious trying to match Internap's SLA without having the real ability to deliver it. Perhaps my expectation is set higher due to my ongoing experience with Internap. But from this experience, I kinda view Peer1 differently now. Having said so, I will still use them and looking forward for them to improve themselves.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:35 PM
f1colo

i maybe a little late but i personnelly would not use any other transit provider then peer1, im looking @ setting up a datacenter in the uk next and have already looked into cross connecting bandwidth from peer1's pop in london to which datacenter i choose.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:52 AM

Peer1 has been good so far in terms of network uptime. If anyone would like some more information feel free to reply back to this message or pm me.