Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Default liquid cooling

hello,
i want to know how liquid cooling in a data center works.is some type of a heat absorbing liquid passed thru pipes (like in transformers)? if it is, then how is it expanded/extended when a new device is added into the data center? how is leakage handled?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 PM

See the following link

http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28211
Old 12-16-2011, 11:59 AM

yes, but raid, most sites are talking about how liquid cooling is more energy efficient and how its lowers cooling costs and stuff, the thread you provided does not exactly answer all my questions. i got how it works.. but wat sort of liquid do they use?water? what if it leaks?a refrigerator can deal with an off time, but not a data center..
Old 12-16-2011, 12:24 PM

also, generic topic, do the data centers have a back up plan in case there is a malfunction in the usual cooling methodology? (like how we have relays signalling when a power system device heats up beyond tolerable limit) but of course,the power devices can be turned off where as these cant.

P.s. (i understand power grids better so i associate everything to that.)
Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 PM

Bell

The link I provided also has a link to an ASHRAE paper, this fully explains all of the option available and how they work and which generic system has the greater efficiency.

As to what coolant is used, well that depends on what cooling system manufacture you use. If you read the ASHRAE paper carefully they do go into all coolant options. Some systems take water in to the rack/server, while others use refrigerant.

All in server systems I have been reading about talk about refrigerant (a gas at room temperature). If the refrigerant leaks, you get no cooling and the server shuts down.

If you are talking about an in-row or in-rack solution, there could be water involved, so yes things could get wet.

To understand what to do when something goes wrong, you need to think of cooling in the same way as power. If everything in a rack has dual power feeds you have redundancy. If the in-rack or in-row solution has dual systems than you have redundancy.

You need to ask about a manufactures solution, design configuration or all the answers will be vague.