Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Default Which are the minimum requirements for build a Data Center?

I need to write a document where list the minimmum requirements for build a Data Center from scratch but does not know which are this requirements. I know TIA-942 (a bit) but this document is designed for "ideal" Data Center, any help on this?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM

You will need to provide a lot more data, because size and scope does matter.

How big is the DC, 100,000 square ft, new building (Greenfield). Or are you refurbishing a 100 square ft room in an existing building?

PS: TIA 942 is an over-the-top cabling standard with delusions of grandeur.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
TIA 942 is an over-the-top cabling standard with delusions of grandeur.
Heh. Have you seen BICSI-002?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Ken

Unfortunately I have.

For those who don’t know, both TIA and BICSI are written by the cabling industry, in other words those who make the cables, connectors etc wrote the standard. So for some strange reason the standards recommend lots of pre-cabling with lots of connection points. This means that you will install most of your cabling day one, based on what you think you will need. A few years later the requirements have changed and you need to augment additional cabling. Now what do you do, you don’t have enough cable tray space, in some critical areas. If you consult the cabling companies they will recommend that you re-cable your DC to a new layout so solve your problems. This cycle continues every few years and the only group who’s happy are the cabling companies.

The cabling topologies recommended in these standards are valid and may be ideal for some specific applications. I my experience there is only one cabling topology that is cost effective, that is “Point-to-Point Cabling on Demand”. All of the pre-cabling solutions are an order of magnitude more expensive.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Well I don't want to write a new specification or something like that just need to know which guidelines I need to follow in order to build a DC. Right now I have different clients, one have a little room (maybe 8x8 or less) and want a minimal DC inside, the other have a little more space and other want a DC in a big terrain but not a BIG DC just a few servers, racks and of course cabling, HVAC, power and so on, this is the info what I'm looking for. As for your recommendation I have a copy of BICSI_002 but it's a BIG document and maybe in small DC I don't need all this steps. Understand my point now?
Old 11-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Administrator

As far as I know, there is no free crash course in data center design. That's a good thing, since data centers are complex and extremely valuable assets for the businesses that own and operate them. My advice to you is that you hire someone familiar with data center design, so that your clients' needs can be best met by a new or remodeled facility. If you say what part of the world you're in, maybe some forum members can recommend experts in your area. Meanwhile, if you want to learn more about the concepts, vocabulary and requirements for data center design, see the following similar thread for some pointers: www.datacentertalk.com/showthread.php?t=27151.

Ken
Old 11-10-2011, 02:07 PM

I can't hire any because then I loss my job and I don't want that I prefer to learn but need to be a starting point for this or not?