Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Default Facebook receives Gold LEED status

There was an article I read just lately about Facebook receiving Gold status in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system. The LEED rating system is awarded for 'green' building design and operation. Facebook was awarded this status for its data center in Prineville, Oregon.

Facebook stressed they were extremely proud to receive this award, and they credited in part their "a low-energy evaporative cooling system that makes use of the low-humidity climate of Central Oregon’s high-desert setting to eliminate traditional air conditioners".

Does anyone know of any other data centers which have received an LEED status?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 PM

I notice that Yahoo has also just received and updated status in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design system. Yahoo was granted Silver status for their La Vista Data Center, located near Omaha, Nebraska. Yahoo expressed pleasure at receiving the updated status and explained that it was “a testament to the company’s history of innovation around energy-efficiency, and commitment to using less of the planet’s natural resources.”
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Yes I was also interested in this topic, and picked up some information about how Yahoo has significantly decreased their energy consumption by 20% by adding a 'patented' cooling system to their data center. Even in the building of the new datacenter Yahoo was able to recycle 95% of the construction waist. I'm so glad to see these companies setting such a good example.