Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 01-13-2005, 06:59 PM
tniedens

Default Data Center RFP Template

I'm a newbie on here, so sorry if this is the wrong area to post this in.

I am looking for a RFP template for Data Center Services. Items I am looking for in the template are:

HVAC requirements
Power requirements
Space requirements
Security
etc.

I haven't been too successful in finding a non-confidential template and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Travis Niedens
Old 01-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Magg

There is no template. It all depends on what you want to do and the type of infrastructure you want to build out.
Everyone has their own specific and unique needs.

What are you looking to do? It sounds as if you'd be better off getting space in an already built out datacenter rather than trying to build one.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 PM
tniedens

The intent is not to build one. We are trying to standardize the format in which we solicit Data Center services from providers such as Level 3, Qwest, etc. I only posted on here based off an email from someone on the Datacenter@shorty.com list.

I know these do exist, just not in a sanitized format for public usage. I was hoping someone on here has a sanitized copy.

Travis Niedens
Old 01-13-2005, 11:10 PM
kjbaudry

Default RFP for POWER

It's been my experience that most colo providers offering space by the rack include some power connection for each rack bundled in with the offer.

It's generally not enough if you intend to fill the rack. They offer it this way because price seams to be king; quote the minimum provisions so you can get a prospects attention and the add on the options. If they quoted it all in the base package, no one would give them a second look.

My suggestions is to include in your RFP a statement of what you want and this will depend on the equipment that you expect to be installing.

You will need to add the load up and determine how many circuits that you need and what voltages you need. A circuit can only support 80% of its rating, so a 20A circuit can only carry 16Amps.

When calculating your load you need to add up the 208V loads and the 120V loads separately. Also a few simple formulae might be helpful as different manufacturers state their equipment data in different terms.

VA = Amps * Volts
Watts = Amps * Volts * PF

PF on new equipment is usually 0.9 or better.

Its not uncommon to add up the nameplate ratings on existing installations and find out that a 20A circuit is carrying 30 Amps. The nameplate loads that they manufacturer qoutes are usuall substantially overstated. I'd be careful about trying to factor this in unless you have a lot of experience with a brand, model and configuration of the equipment that you are installing.

If your equipment has dual (redundant) power supplies then you will need to request circuits from different sources for maximum availability. Keep in mind that in this confiuration, should one power circuit fail, then all the load will dump to the other. So you can only load the circuit to 50% or 8A or you will create a cascading failure. This may be obvious but it's amazing how many "professionals" in the field miss this.

Heres the rub: a number of colo providers are charging by the amp ($6/amp+/-). If I'm using redundant circuits then I'm paying double even though I'm not using any more resources or energy then a single circuit provides. This translates into a big cost for me and a lot of profit for the colo provider. Colo is still a great deal for the one or two cabinet user. If you are going to lease a lot of space or have a lot of racks then you need to negotiate a better deal.

Hope that this is helpful.

Ken Baudry
www.kjbaudry.com