Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 02-01-2006, 04:15 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to toqensystems
Question LNP Questions for VOIP

Hi. I know this not a voip forum, but this is one of the forums I'm comfortable with.

My company is planning to roll out custom voip solutions (Asterisk). However, we do not know the ins and outs of LNP or Line Number Porting. We are not a CLEC nor an ILEC. What do we need to be able to allow our customers to use their existing phone numbers with us? How do we port their numbers to us? What do we need?

Anyone with any insight or knowledge to share?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:40 AM

You need to get hooked up with a voice carrier like Level 3, Global Crossing, or Commpartners.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Resolution 208

Correct. You need to:

1) Cozy up with a CLEC, who will port the number for you, and stick it on a PRI as a DID facing you.

2) Become a CLEC yourself.

Basically, you need a method to access/edit/add entries to the Master SCP/LNP Database(s) which the LNP consortium runs. Requires SS7/CCS7 access. (i.e. you need a CIC, a Point Code, some CLLI Codes, and either SS7 "A" or SS7 "D" links from your switch.

If an existing CLEC is willing to provide you the Port-and DID-on-a-PRI-for-you trick, then this is by far the cheaper way initially. As you get bigger (i.e. 100,000 to 300,000 customers) you may wish to to investigate becoming a CLEC yourself; to directly access the LNP database, and take advantage of the ILEC->CLEC inbound traffic imbalance; which the telco will compensate you for. ($60k to $80k month or so).

- R208.

Last edited by Resolution 208; 02-05-2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling