Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 01-26-2005, 04:27 PM
arglbargl

Default Process, procedures, policies - oh my!

I am new to the Data Center environment. In my new role, I am in charge of managing processes/procedures/policies and metrics for our Data Center. I am looking to build a network of resources (i.e. people, forums, websites, blogs, etc.) to help me in my new role. Eventually I hope to be one of the available resources that others can tap into.

We are currently consolidating most of our Data Centers as well as in-sourcing operations support. I will try to investigate and collect existing process documentation that we own but unfortunately most of the current documentation is owned by the vendor(s) who currently manage our various Data Centers.

With Sarbanes-Oxley compliance deadlines quickly approaching, we have scheduled internal audits to be conducted starting March 1st, 2005. All that to say that I have a lot to do in the next month. I am hoping that the datacentertalk.com community will be willing to help me. First of all, I am looking for feedback/examples as to what the most common, best practice processes need to be in place for Data Center operations along with how Sarbanes-Oxley impacts my objectives. The reality of my situation is that I am not afforded the time to reinvent the Data Center work process wheel.

The following are some of the areas that I have quickly identified as area that will need many processes/procedures developed:

1) Data Center Facilities
- Asset Management
- Cleaning
- Emergency
- Escalation
- Monitoring
- Physical Layout Maintenance
- Physical Security
- Physical/Environmental Facilities Operations
2) Server, 3) Mainframe, 4) Storage and 5) Tape Operations
- Availability Monitoring
- Backup
- Adds/Moves/Removes/Disposal
- Operator/SA Interaction
- Technical Emergencies
- Technical Escalations
- Whiteboard
6) ID Administration
7) Mainframe Job Scheduling
8) Shift Turnover
9) Crisis Management
10) Procedures Change Control

Your help in assisting me to build the network of resources I am attempting to build will be immensely appreciated!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 04:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to SiteSouth

Hi Arglbargl,

First welcome to the board. You will find this a friendly community.

If you already have some policies in place you may be going about this the hard way. If you have current policies you may want to post them and let people show you a way to improve them or bring them up to date.

For most of the things you have listed we use a plan called the 6W Plan.

W1. What sets off the alarm to tell you of the problem?
W2. What is the schedule of procedures to verify and start resolution of the problem.
W3. Who is responsible to fix this issue and how do I contact them (day or night)
W4. What backup procedures can be started while W3 is starting to review the problem
W5. Who will declare the all clear.
W6. Who and When will the incident be reviewed.

There are subsets to all of these but you can see the important thing is to be clear where and who to go to to resolve the issue.

Maintenance issues are easy, the real battle is getting people and resources to stick to the schedule.

Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV
Old 01-27-2005, 01:10 PM
kjbaudry

Default Process and Procedures

Your situation is not that different from a lot of my customers. My primary business is consulting on environmental (heat/power/space) problems and thne implementing the upgrades, renovations, expandions that are needed. I also work with clients that are buying or building new data centers, etc.

While I may identify a specific problem, generate and implement a solution the root cause almost always involves a lack of change control process, procedures, pure maintenance, inconsistent risk mitigation efforts, etc.

I don't promote myself as being in SOX compliance, but because I'm logical minded, I end up with a fair amount of "process and procedure work".

There are a few documents on my website that can be downloaded. Ultimately I'd like to work with you to flush out the processes and procedures. If I don't work I don't eat.

You can reach me as follows:

Ken Baudry
770-512-8554
kjbaudry@bellsouth.net
www.kjbaudry.com
Old 01-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Hi,

You have lots of questions . I asked few members to take a look at your post.
Also I will try to prepare some info for you. I hope you will find some useful resources here.

Meant time have a look at these posts.
http://datacentertalk.com/showthread.php?t=572
http://datacentertalk.com/showthread...=3116#post3116
http://datacentertalk.com/showthread.php?t=631

Thank You
David.K
Old 02-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Ananth

Default Some helps..If you need more, Please e-mail me @ ananth@bizzrt.com

Hello Arglbargl,

Since I worked with datacenter operations for some time. I agreed with SiteSouth with if you have current policies you may want to post them or get some advices from other members. I will describe as in points from your task lists, but if you need more help or more input, Please e-mail me @ ananth@bizzrt.com

1) Data Center Facilities
- Asset Management (Need to have Inventory system in place with categorized items)
- Cleaning (Need to have a procedure and timing)
- Emergency (Need to have all contacts and failover numbers)
- Escalation (Need to have detailed run book and change management producers in place)
- Monitoring (categorized the monitoring procedures with servers, functionality, and importance and Escalation procedure)
- Physical Layout Maintenance (This is one of the key point in datacenter operations, Need to be detailed and trace all the moved)
- Physical Security (This is the most important in Datacenter and for servers, Need to have electronically controlled and doubled custody if possible)
- Physical/Environmental Facilities Operations ( This will summarize most of above)
2) Server, 3) Mainframe, 4) Storage and 5) Tape Operations
- Availability Monitoring (Change management system in place)
- Backup (offsite and fire-proof onsite safe)
- Adds/Moves/Removes/Disposal (
- Operator/SA Interaction (Detail Run book)
- Technical Emergencies (Need to have all contacts and failover numbers)
- Technical Escalations (Need to have all contacts and failover numbers and SLA)
- Whiteboard
6) ID Administration (CO-LO access and server passwords)
7) Mainframe Job Scheduling (Job scheduler, eg..Autosys and etc..)
8) Shift Turnover ( 1 hrs Overlap on each shifts is important)
9) Crisis Management (Change management system in place)
10) Procedures Change Control (Change management system in place)
Old 08-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Scott

If you're looking for a full-service company that specializes in data center cleaning and program direction take a look at http://www.set3.com/ Sterile Environment Technologies. For a fraction of the cost of downtime caused by contaminants you can set up a regular cleaning program tailored to fit your facility's exacting needs.

I'm a spe############t in the industry and would have no problem fielding any questions you may have, feel free to call toll free 888-935-0620 ext 255.

Last edited by Scott; 08-17-2005 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Add info.