Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:53 PM

Default Options for Internet pipe aggregation

Our DC and offices are located in an area with VERY few options for inexpensive Internet service.

We have been using a 4xT1 from ATT, giving us 6mbs of synchronous service, but our contract is up and it is very expensive. Our choices are:
  1. Same price move to a fractional T3 and 12 megabit or so.
  2. Stick with the 4xT1 for about half of our last contract ($1500+ will be the new price)
  3. Go with multiple cable connections (12 down/1.5 up) and aggregate them in some way

I would like to investigate the possibility of aggregating the cable lines. We could get four or five of the business grade cable service, plus a backup T1 level satellite service for what we would pay to renew the 4xT1 service.

Anyone know how effective aggregating four 12 up/1.5 down cable lines would be?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Banned

Arrow

I don't suggest you go with cable. You'll lose out on the SLA and QoS that comes with the T1. T1 is dedicated service .... cable is not. So you'll lose reliability guarantees that are part of dedicated circuits.

Do you know if ethernet is avilable in your area? That would be more cost effective than a quad T1. There might even be a lower price in quad T1 from another provider .... or possibly a fractional DS3.

If you'd like ... we can dig into your options for you. We have inside relationships with top tier providers (no Kmart vendors) and can get better price points than you can talking to them directly yourself. We'll look for the most cost effective solution for your requirements.

If this is an option you'd consider .... just submit your detailed requirements in our web portal to create a support record. We'll take it from there.

To alleviate any reluctance ... you should know that our services are no cost to you.

Just go here to create the record: Bandwidth Solution

I hope that helps a little bit.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoQuote View Post
I don't suggest you go with cable. You'll lose out on the SLA and QoS that comes with the T1. T1 is dedicated service .... cable is not. So you'll lose reliability guarantees that are part of dedicated circuits.

Do you know if ethernet is avilable in your area? That would be more cost effective than a quad T1. There might even be a lower price in quad T1 from another provider .... or possibly a fractional DS3.

If you'd like ... we can dig into your options for you. We have inside relationships with top tier providers (no Kmart vendors) and can get better price points than you can talking to them directly yourself. We'll look for the most cost effective solution for your requirements.

If this is an option you'd consider .... just submit your detailed requirements in our web portal to create a support record. We'll take it from there.

To alleviate any reluctance ... you should know that our services are no cost to you.

Just go here to create the record: Bandwidth Solution

I hope that helps a little bit.
Good points on the quality of service on cable. Being a shared network, it is a bit of a crap shool. At one point the service here was pretty shaky, and it could become so again.

Living in a rural area, the only options are cable or ATT copper. In the past we have worked with Sprint and other companies, but all used ATT copper.

I'll create a support record and see what you can come up with.

Thanks