Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Datacenter, Colocation, Cloud Hosting, Managed Hosting Reviews

Old 10-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Tris

Default ServerMatrix, ThePlanet, Managed.com, DedicatedNow Reviews

Well this is just one review for everything basically. This is just my experience so just bear with me
Old 10-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Tris

Server Matrix/ThePlanet

So here we go. I went here for the cheap budget servers, and obviously if you look at their network page well it is appealing
  • Network - 9/10 Well I never have had any problems with their network. NEVER. They have been perfect. I have always in the 2 years I have been with them had fast loading times and of course relativly fast pings (considering I am in the UK). They use some very nice routers..
  • Support - 8/10 Whenever I have a problem answered very promptly. Usually within 20 minutes. The longest I had to wait for a normal question was 39 minutes (but who is counting ). Reboot requests however are always answered very quickly. I can not remember a time where it has taken longer than 15 minutes to reboot and trust me... i have posted tickets at almost every time imagionable.
  • Control Panel 9/10 Cant really fault them here. ORbit is great. I love it. I am not to keen on their ticket system though... it confuses me at times. This is where ThePlanet is better as you really do have more control over your server with remote rebote and DRAC etc. Both are great though and do exactly what is needed and more. They allow me to give accounts to my other server admins etc.
  • Hardware 9/10 Strangely enough I have had a problem with hardware only once and it really suprised me. It was 2 months ago. I had come to expect the best from SM and TP because that is what I had been recieving. I asked for a RAM upgrade and it was done VERY quickly. I have to say every upgrade they do, they do quickly and there is less downtime than they estimate. Well this upgrade went fine but the kernel was not recognising the extra RAM. Well ok that was fine I reported it and they changed it no hassle, and they didnt charge me anything of course. They fixed it find

Overall:

I would reccommend SM and TP to anyone. They offer the best prices, the best network and well their support is great. Their is no reason not to go with them. So go with them. They are the best Data Center that I have servers at currently.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Tris

Managed.com

They are not managed and just so you know I did know about their reputation before I went, I am a system admin though so I thought I could risk the problems. Note i still have 2 servers there
  • Network - 6/10 well... I am glad it is only backup servers that are here because well the pings are horrible, download speeds are horrible. Their network is as if they were running of an ADSL home line. It is stupid when you get download speeds of 10kbps on your servers. They have been reliable granted I have not had a major problem that has effected me, even though i did hear about half of asia getting cut off for a day or something which is pretty major.
  • Support - 2/10 well one word... Non-existant. They literally hire one tech for 24/7. They will tell you (once you have signed up) we never said we offer 24/7 support just 24/7 reboot. Well that is total shi... They dont even do that. Trust me being in the UK I submit tickets at 3am for reboot requests and they are not answered for 5 hours or more. They do not do any support and only offer 1OS reinstall. And get this once they installed the OS wrong and I could not fix it and they said it used my OS reinstall up. That annoyed me.
  • Control Panel - 0/10 They dont have one
  • Hardware - 10/10 I have never had a problem so have to give it full marks there. They are reliable and do their job

Overall:

DO NOT go here unless you are a system admin and know what you are doing. Even I have some problems. Once its setup and everything is running its fine. Go here and dont expect support and dont expect instant reboot. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Tris,

Is this review by your self?. Do you have servers on those datacenters?. If they ask some thing, you must have to defend them.

Thanks
David.K
Old 10-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Tris

Yup I have DCs in all the data centers i listed. I will do DedicatedNow later.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Great. Also we do have experience with DedicatedNow. They are giving great services as well. You can give the review later.

Thanks
David.K
Old 10-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Tris

Yup they are good. Ill write the review ASAP
Old 10-28-2004, 10:37 PM
HostingCorral

Managed.com BOO BOO, still no refund from them after 2 months........
Old 12-15-2004, 06:26 PM
adamint

Quote:
Support - 8/10 Whenever I have a problem answered very promptly. Usually within 20 minutes. The longest I had to wait for a normal question was 39 minutes (but who is counting ). Reboot requests however are always answered very quickly. I can not remember a time where it has taken longer than 15 minutes to reboot and trust me... i have posted tickets at almost every time imagionable.
no need now theyve installed ROD on most servers with the dc retro fit.

Quote:
Support - 8/10 Whenever I have a problem answered very promptly. Usually within 20 minutes. The longest I had to wait for a normal question was 39 minutes (but who is counting ). Reboot requests however are always answered very quickly. I can not remember a time where it has taken longer than 15 minutes to reboot and trust me... i have posted tickets at almost every time imagionable.
totally agree, ticket system is horrible.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Managed.com
DO NOT go here unless you are a system admin and know what you are doing. Even I have some problems. Once its setup and everything is running its fine. Go here and dont expect support and dont expect instant reboot. You get what you pay for.
Agreed. I am not say bad to any Datacenter here, but we really have bad experience there. They may take up to 48 hour to answer your support ticket. Never answer phone call. They can take several hour to reboot your server.

Unless you use the server for few own websites. Not recommend to use for resell as Share Hosting. I still have 1 server there. My client use it to host few own websites. Not much problem with the server hardware and small problem on network.

For ThePlanet. If you go direct to them, you will have good experience in Network and Support. If you goes to the reseller, you will have the same network but support have to depend on the reseller.