Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to InfiniteTech
Default BGP Router / Machine - newbie needs help

Hello,

I now have 2x 2 Mbps bandwidth at the basement from two different ISPs.

I managed to get a PA IP space from a LIR (RIPE member). Now, how do I go about broadcasting this IP range here so that I can use it on my servers and allow the rest of the world to know that data to that IP is suppose to be coming here?

I read a little about BGP and I guess I do not need a specific router, any Linux machine will do. I don't expect an how-to here, if you could point me in the right direction it would be nice.

Also, do I need the permission of my upsteam provider that I am broadcasting this IP space? In other words, will they be required to do anything on their end to allow me to broadcast the IP space?

I am lost here, totally! BTW, do not laugh at the 2x 2 Mbps cause in India bandwidth is expensive. 150 USD / Mbps.

Regards,
Ganesh
Old 04-03-2008, 05:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SuperRacks Send a message via AIM to SuperRacks Send a message via MSN to SuperRacks Send a message via Yahoo to SuperRacks

You cannot talk bgp without a bgp session with your uplink. So, you don't just need permission, you need their cooperation into getting a bgp feed from them, so you can set up a bgp session. I doubt they have a bgp feed available in your basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh.rao View Post
Hello,

I now have 2x 2 Mbps bandwidth at the basement from two different ISPs.

I managed to get a PA IP space from a LIR (RIPE member). Now, how do I go about broadcasting this IP range here so that I can use it on my servers and allow the rest of the world to know that data to that IP is suppose to be coming here?

I read a little about BGP and I guess I do not need a specific router, any Linux machine will do. I don't expect an how-to here, if you could point me in the right direction it would be nice.

Also, do I need the permission of my upsteam provider that I am broadcasting this IP space? In other words, will they be required to do anything on their end to allow me to broadcast the IP space?

I am lost here, totally! BTW, do not laugh at the 2x 2 Mbps cause in India bandwidth is expensive. 150 USD / Mbps.

Regards,
Ganesh
Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRacks View Post
You cannot talk bgp without a bgp session with your uplink. So, you don't just need permission, you need their cooperation into getting a bgp feed from them, so you can set up a bgp session...
So I need other BGP talking machines to co-operate with mine?

Does this mean that I have to authenticate (password sorta?) to their BGP routers?

Most likely everything I have dreamt of will fail.

Quote:
I doubt they have a bgp feed available in your basement.
What do you mean by that? :S
Old 04-03-2008, 06:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SuperRacks Send a message via AIM to SuperRacks Send a message via MSN to SuperRacks Send a message via Yahoo to SuperRacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh.rao View Post
So I need other BGP talking machines to co-operate with mine?

Does this mean that I have to authenticate (password sorta?) to their BGP routers?

Most likely everything I have dreamt of will fail.

What do you mean by that? :S
You need this situation:

upstream router/switch <---uplink --> your router (also bgp capable)
(bgp capable)

So the uplink you have in your basement must come from a bgp capable device at your upstream, and they must have this device talk bgp to your bgp device, to exchange the route information.

Most uplinks in home and offices are no bgp feeds. Bgp uplinks are usually found in datacenters, where networks connect. Contact your upstream if you don't know.

Without this bgp session to your upstream nothing will be announced. Route information gets spread through routing protocols (like bgp4).
Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM

This is so suckish.

Any book or article in specific I should read before asking questions to my ISP. I dont want to sound like an idiot (which I am).

This BGP capable route is dedicated to BG protocol or can the TCP/IP also travel in the same route/bandwidth?

What is your general opinion on the BGP allowance by my ISP. Would they do it?