Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to InfiniteTech
Arrow IP Broadcasting / Announcing on Router - newbie needs help

Hello,

Just born yesterday and wanted to learn about IP broadcasting. Did a few searches on Google, I doubt I used the correct keywords.

Any idea from where I can start reading on this?

Basically, the needs it to get IPs directly from APNIC as I have 200~ IP addresses in usage currently and would easily grow to about 800~ in the next 6 months at the current utilization rate. Don't ask me too much about this, and lets stick to the topic

So how do I do this?

Do I need to provide any more info? Go ahead and ask, I have subscribed to this thread and will reply in a few minutes if I am there.

Best Regards,
Ganesh Rao
Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SuperRacks Send a message via AIM to SuperRacks Send a message via MSN to SuperRacks Send a message via Yahoo to SuperRacks

You can have PI (provider independent) IP addresses without you announcing the range yourself.

The basics are:
You have a router that announces IP ranges in BGP, so the other routers on the internet know where to go for a certain IP address. Every other router calculates which routes to take to your IP's.

You can apply for PI ranges and try to find a provider that will announce your range. But, you must have a BGP router somewhere (you yourself or another provider), to announce your range, or no one will be able to find your server(s). If you announce yourself, with your own router, you will also need a AS (an Autonomous System, let's say your own public network).

And, you would also need some knowledge about BGP and networking in general ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh.rao View Post
Hello,

Just born yesterday and wanted to learn about IP broadcasting. Did a few searches on Google, I doubt I used the correct keywords.

Any idea from where I can start reading on this?

Basically, the needs it to get IPs directly from APNIC as I have 200~ IP addresses in usage currently and would easily grow to about 800~ in the next 6 months at the current utilization rate. Don't ask me too much about this, and lets stick to the topic

So how do I do this?

Do I need to provide any more info? Go ahead and ask, I have subscribed to this thread and will reply in a few minutes if I am there.

Best Regards,
Ganesh Rao
Old 01-19-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRacks View Post
You can have PI (provider independent) IP addresses without you announcing the range yourself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRacks View Post
... But, you must have a BGP router somewhere (you yourself or another provider), to announce your range, or no one will be able to find your server(s)...
What are you trying to say? I already found a RIPE NCC member who agreed to provide these IPs to me. They have their BGP routers and everything else that is concerned with networking.

But the provider at the remote location (could be my basement ) does not have these equipment for my usage. So how do I go about doing this now?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SuperRacks Send a message via AIM to SuperRacks Send a message via MSN to SuperRacks Send a message via Yahoo to SuperRacks

Quote:
What are you trying to say? I already found a RIPE NCC member who agreed to provide these IPs to me. They have their BGP routers and everything else that is concerned with networking.
You didn't mention that I think.

Quote:
But the provider at the remote location (could be my basement ) does not have these equipment for my usage. So how do I go about doing this now?
You have to have the router within the network you place your servers. That might be a remote location, where the BGP takes place. But that remote location would have to be connected to your server location. If you do that on a layer2 level, you would only need a switch on your server location and a vlan between the router and your server location.

But to be honest, if you don't already know that and your IP provider doesn't either (?), there is little hope you succeed in setting that up. Any network engineer can tell you how to set that up.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:01 PM

So basically, the IPs get announced at the origin (RIPE member) routers and then get re-announced at the remote location?

I am finding this a bit twisted... any book you think could be useful for me? Any website? I seriously do not want to waste your quality time on my threads; you could be helping better people out there
Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
So basically, the IPs get announced at the origin (RIPE member) routers and then get re-announced at the remote location?

I am finding this a bit twisted... any book you think could be useful for me? Any website? I seriously do not want to waste your quality time on my threads; you could be helping better people out there
No, the location of the IP provider has nothing to do with the announcing of the range. So forget the location of the Ripe member; he is not important. The Ripe member does nothing but registering your connection to the IP range with the Ripe database, and sends you a bill for it.

You need a router with BGP capability somewhere on this planet (your own router or somebody else's who wants to help you) and a connection between that router and your servers (may be on the same location or may be a vlan from elsewhere). The router announces the range and all traffic for the internet will be sent to that router. The router (or a switch behind the router) distributes the traffic internally (because the traffic is on your network already when it has passed the router) to your server.

So, there is one router that announces your IP range once (sure, for redundancy it could be done through several routers on several places, but that is not needed for the routing to work) and your servers will be connected to that router (that route to your router is your network).

Google anything on BGP and IP networking. You might also want to take some lessons somewhere to get practical experience, if you are going to do it yourself.

Edit: Don't forget to get upstreams. That means, transit providers that want to talk BGP with your router.

Last edited by SuperRacks; 01-19-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM

Wow, thanks for the detailed explaination.

Now something seems to be running in my head.

I surely wont be doing anything in practical but its always good to know what I am dealing with. Thanks a whole lot SuperRacks
Old 01-19-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the detailed explaination.

Now something seems to be running in my head.

I surely wont be doing anything in practical but its always good to know what I am dealing with. Thanks a whole lot SuperRacks
Sure , YW