Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 AM

Default Newbe: I have a few questions about Starting up DC

Hello,
I am new here. Thank you in advance for helping me with the following questions. Here is a brief outline of who I am and what I do. I own Trower Hosting Service Provider, LLC. right now we our in the phase of switching to a new name and compining with another company. We currently do Managed Dedicated Servers, Managed VPS, and Managed Solutions. We our currently a reseller for the Dedicated and Colocation. I plan on opening up a data center in an existing building. I am wondering how many servers (cabinets) can fit in a 1000 sq ft building? That is not total that is the area I wish to keep the servers in. Also what is the estimated cost per server for electricity (or how many khm/watts)? What is the best way for dedicated Lines? Multiple T1 lines, T3, etc.? I am in the hub area for these lines to be placed at low cost. What could be the estimated cost total for the data center? What is the best way to calculate up operational cost? If anyone has any advise please pm me or reply to this topic. Thank you for your help.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Wow.. thats a lot of questions.

Key thing to start with is what power allocation are you getting with your area of the building? (1000sq ft is a relatively small area)

For an area that size I'd probably be looking at maybe 30 racks in total. Once you've done the build out, gen set costs, etc..etc.. I'd be questioning whether it really is the best commercial decision for the business.