Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Default Raised floor removal in live datacenter?

We are considering removing the raised floor in a live datacenter. We have limited options for relocation and expansion. The flooring we currently have has been impossible to source from refurbished vendors, does not provide enough clearance to run air through, and provides limited additional functionality.

I am curious as to the logistics of removing such a floor and installing something such as ESD tile in phases. Most specifically, I am wondering how much the tension across strings from wall to wall affects the strength of the floor.

Could I literally remove ¼ of the floor and tile, or would the lack of tension across the stringers cause the floor to weaken to a point where racks in the adjacent area could collapse?

Additionally, this migration would prompt a move from under-floor to overhead cooling piping. Aside from APCs whitepaper does anyone have any good references to overhead water piping methodologies that would be considered ‘safe’ in a datacenter environment?

Thank you!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Well, that sounds... exciting. Yes, the walls, posts, stringers and tiles all have a role in supporting the raised floor. I have always used the rule of thumb that no more than 8 contiguous tiles should be removed from a row at once. So, unless you take structural precautions, your method will probably collapse the floor. I'd discuss options with several floor contractors or engineers before deciding what to do.

As for running cold water overhead, this runs the obvious risk of leaks, but also condensation. The risk of small leaks can be mitigated with gutters, but a pressurized leak will go everywhere.

My advice is to try to keep or replace the raised floor as a pathway for power and chilled water piping, even if you do opt for some type of above floor cooling.

My 2 cents.

Ken
Old 05-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Default Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response. I will keep looking for refurbished flooring.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:44 PM

Since your air flow is going to change your room design may as well. Onc you open your floor up you will be breaking your seal needed for cooling and will require portable cooling to be added to supplement as well as you need to identify weight loads and how you will remove the existing equipment off the raised floor. You may want to look at a lift of some sort. There is alot of coordination and effort will be required to make this effort reduce unplan outages.