Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-28-2008, 01:47 AM

Default Power Reading Usage

Dear forumers,

Do you have any idea how to write report or procedure for the power usage in data center for every customers.

This report is for upper management to calculate the cashflow and profit and loss.

Cheers,
Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator

What kind of metering do you have in place?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:28 PM

What type of report do you want to create. There is many ways of doing a technical type report that would be easy for them to understand as well as easy for you to write.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
What kind of metering do you have in place?
1st we have SNMP APC ISX system.this one is very easy to take reading.

2nd we have to read manually from PDU Switch board.

3rd we also need UPS power reading.

After all data were taken..now I need to summarize in spreadsheet.This task make me little bit confuse to write report.

If anyone can give any tools or templates..would be nice. or I ll create one and share here.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attagirl View Post
What type of report do you want to create. There is many ways of doing a technical type report that would be easy for them to understand as well as easy for you to write.
report that can shows power usage by weekly and monhtly.

the purpose of this is we want to monitor clients usage and want to bill them in approriate way.

p/s:AG, where about do you plan to build your data centre?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMemmer View Post
I would recommend talking with Chris at NocWorx as they probably already have the tools built that you are looking for in regards to hosting (please let him know that Mark with Caro.Net said hello.
I ll browsing around their website.

thanks for this.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 AM

Are you using any Building Management System? If so most have a query program built in to mange this service - I have used Liberts and Johnson Control (JCI) to help build what you are requesting.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

I think this is more of a business issue, then a technical issue.

You've somewhat explained what you are trying to achieve (Generate a report for upper management to calculate the cashflow and profit and loss. - (I presume in relation to power usage specifically))

Any report like this is going to be very custom, as it needs to tie in with your current business systems - you need to have a way to associate each measurement with each appropriate billing line item - to generate a comprehensive report based on your above criteria (not withstanding if this is only associated to power), you also need to take into account all of your costs - bandwidth, space, cooling, etc..etc..

Cooling is also a pertinent point to add into your equations, as whatever power a customer maybe using, there will also be a usage of power for cooling purposes, plus the inefficiencies of your UPS systems, general electrical operational costs (such as UPS, ATS, generator maintenance costs).

For an immediate win, my gut would be to do the initial correlation between what power a customer is using, and what this actually costs you on a per month/ per annum basis based on current rates. You should also provide some high level projections on what would happen should you experience a large price increase in your energy costs as has been seen for many many business - this, tied up with when your current financial agreements expire I suspect would be of interest (being warned 6 months in advance of an opex cost for a certain area of the business of say, 20% is much more palatable than it just happening.. obviously, the more warning, the better!)
Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM

We've been taking measurements and creating reports using KW/hr per month. We also itemize the HVAC power consumption and equipment consumption into separate line items.