Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Server Discussion

Old 11-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Uptime to me shows a stable platform. Stable apps that just do their thing. I do agree that rebooting servers is a good thing but with a stable platform and a stable app, it does not have to be daily, weekly, or even monthly. Our servers are redundant, our apps actually do handle a lot of traffic yet the performance is just fine.

Why fix what is not broken? If an app needs to be restarted, we can restart the app without rebooting the system.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Thats true Keith, but some of the applications require reboot.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Your record logs can tell you the times your users are logging in and that would help to determine when you might want to do something like auto restart of the server.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:19 AM

for me its not real uptime its only temporary reports, but sonetimes useful for people
Old 12-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

I'm lucky to have a server in production for three years that hasn't been rebuilt and re-purposed Advancements in hardware mean we do regular upgrades and hardware refreshes on our infrastructure.

I once had a router that had about 7 years uptime on it (admittedly, we did just leave it on and in a rack hooked up to the network dealing with a trickle of dialup traffic for kicks... sad I know)

Cursory glance through our infrastructure at the minute and it looks like the longest individual box uptime
14:06:16 up 423 days, 48 min, 0 users, load average: 0.13, 0.12, 0.09
Old 12-27-2008, 07:03 PM

You must be lucky.IF you have web server running on the server, then hard to keep such a good up time.

Am I right?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Not really - the only thing I can think that we ever reboot systems for is if we are doing a kernel upgrade, a physical hardware change, or something of a similar magnitude.

Web server upgrades should be near hitless - even if you were running a single server environment. Luckily, I have 10 clusters globally, so performing upgrades doesn't really cause an issue.

Database access is the killer for me, as each cluster reports into its local database managers, and then these get pooled on request for reporting data etc...

So ensuring connectivity between all the clusters is vital to the reporting functionality.

You see a large change with the big corporate that not only require the service to be functioning 100% of the time, but all ancillary services such as reporting, configuration changes etc... to also be functional near 100% of the time. We've actually just bought in an SLA covering reporting availability, and have had an SLA covering configuration changes for quite some time. The primary service has always been covered by an SLA - however, as with all SLA's, one of the most important things to have in place before you commit to them is a way that you can measure and ironically, in the case of the reporting SLA, report on whether you are succeeding, or failing and where you need to improve.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 AM

That was nice post with good informative thread thanks for sharing