Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 10-20-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Router Configuration

When we buy router can find out what kind of algorithms it use. Can we configure to do layer2 or layer3 swithcing or All the routers doe swithing in layer2?. Please verify if for me.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:23 PM

What exactly is it that you want the hardware to do, ie the end result.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:51 PM

I just wanted to check how the perfomance by switching layers. Definetly it will be fast if we switch to layer2.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:13 AM
polk

What's really the difference between a router and switch? I'm setting up a cab in datacenter and I have only a switch. Will my network work? I have simple DELL PowerConnectTM 2324. I though I can just plug two cables from datacenter to my switch and then directly servers to the switch. Will it work?
Old 06-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SuperRacks Send a message via AIM to SuperRacks Send a message via MSN to SuperRacks Send a message via Yahoo to SuperRacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk
What's really the difference between a router and switch? I'm setting up a cab in datacenter and I have only a switch. Will my network work? I have simple DELL PowerConnectTM 2324. I though I can just plug two cables from datacenter to my switch and then directly servers to the switch. Will it work?
Generally speaking, the network maintainer (ie your isp) will route your segment of the subnet for you. That means that you don't have to route yourself. If then, a switch will be enough to get your servers connected.

Check with your isp to be sure. But asking this would mean, that you are not able to maintain routes yourself, and your isp will know so too.

If you want packages to be sent from one IP address to another, you need a layer 3 device (router). A switch will build a static 'routing' table based on mac addresses (that is the fysical address of your nic).
Old 06-26-2005, 11:22 PM
polk

I'm almost sure that I can just use switch and my datacenter is already prepared network for me. Just one of my friends said that I have to have router for some reason, but i don't think so. That's why I decided to ask experts here.

thanks.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:09 PM

You can use a router to define your own subnets and do some limiting and firewalling maybe but it's not nessesary to run a (smal) hosting caompany.