Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Bene

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigf
I'd be interested in a cost comparison. Do you know what it cost to do your overhead trays and power bus and what size is your room? That would give me a $/sq. ft. number. Raised floor in my area is quoted at about $22 a sq. ft. new, $12 used installed (CDN $).

Jamie
Our room is not huge...we have space for about 14 racks about 20' x 18'. The cost was about $7000 including 30+' of the busway, 24 L5-30 recepticles (in groups of three), and 12 5-15 plugs in groups of four. Keep in mind that this is a hung busway that can be moved and reconfigured. The outlet receptacles can be moved, added, or changed without taking the any phase down. EX:we swapped 2 racks, one required one of our 4 5-15 recepticle boxes, the other a 3 L5-30 box. We moved the two racks, swapped the two receptacle boxes and were back up in an hour, without an electrician. Second EX: We added a SAN that required L6-30. We got 2 L6-30 receptacles for just a couple hundred bucks. If you can't do a raised floor (which I question, although I have no experience with) this is a great power option.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:14 PM
thebigf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene
about 20' x 18'. The cost was about $7000 including 30+' of the busway, 24 L5-30 recepticles (in groups of three), and 12 5-15 plugs in groups of four.
So, it works out to be a bit more costly (I assume U.S. dollars) for the raceway than for raised floor - convert to CDN ($7000*1.4)$9800/(20*18)360=$27.20 sq. ft. vs about $22 for raised. I also pay a few hundred for additional receptacles on Tek cable but need an electrician for more $, but install breakers hot so to me it comes down to just a personal choice. I just find raised floor very flexible in layout options personally and it makes for a cleaner look.

Thanks for the numbers.

Jamie
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
colorob

Default raised floor adds flexibility

I especially agree with the easily reconfigurable air plenum. Our data center has a mixture of custom built cages and cabint rows, so hot/cold aisles are difficult to maintain. The raised floor lets me reconfigure based on where hot and cold spots develop depending on how our customers reconfigure their equipment and what time of year it is (we're in Texas). I walk through the data center with an IR gun every few months and rearrange the perferated tiles as needed.

Putting the cable racks under the floor keeps them out of sight so that you don't have to spend a lot of time dressing in new cables or learning to ignore ugly cable trays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigf
Also, raised floor is grounded so can dissipate static, it provides an easily reconfigurable air plenum and power chase, provides a space for a/c coolant lines, water supply, condensate drains, cabling and a space you can work in without a ladder.

Jamie
Old 08-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
I believe that Equinix has proved that there really is little/no use for raised flooring. Everything is done overhead in a highly efficient and effective method.
Karl, While equinix has proven that this can work, they have still had issues over time with higher density support. When I worked at equinix, I was assigned a ticket to reconfigure a cage in which google used to be in. Google had a very high density installation within that area of the building. Customers across the hall would complain about higher than expected temperatures. When I was reconfiguring the cage layout, I set the work order on the ladder and the extreme airflow required to get the air from the ceiling to the ground was so intense that it sent my work order flying across the room. I literally had to get a clip coard and a hat to finish that cage build.

So it brings me to a point of whether or not overhead cooling really will benefit you in an instance where high density cooling is required. You risk choking air to other areas of your datacenter in order to give higher volume to your hot spots. A proper balance is hard to achieve. I am a big fan of raised floor cooling in the fact that it is so easily reconfigurable. Raised flooring has gotten a bad reputation over time due to the mismanagement of cabling under the floors. The more cables and trays that you place under the floor, the more of an issue you will have with air dams and hot spots. That being said, I am a big fan of raised floors combined with an overhead cabling system. With the proper configured floor tile layout added with an adequate return air system overhead in your hot aisles, you should not have that much of an issue. Proper planning is key!

There is another risk that is also covered and that is the potential for water leaks throughout your datacenter. If your area has the ability to flood, that 2ft space under the floor could save your equipment...thats assuming your cables are overhead.

Just my 2 cents worth.