Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 05-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Default What concerns would you have with cloud hosting?

I know some people have concerns with cloud services. If you are one of them, what do you worry about. There can be some concerns with the safety of data should the cloud have some type of failure. Security issues can also arise.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM

There can be some security issues if the cloud is not run properly. I think there are some companies that do not yet have enough knowledge about cloud services that are trying to make them available.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM

It is true that a lot of people are concerned that companies are trying to offer cloud services without yet having built the most secure and stable infrastructure or without having enough expertise in the area.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 PM

When you transition an application from a traditional server framework to the cloud, you're adding another layer of complexity. The additional abstraction isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's another component that could fail.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdebs View Post
When you transition an application from a traditional server framework to the cloud, you're adding another layer of complexity. The additional abstraction isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's another component that could fail.
This is a good point. It can be a good thing to switch to cloud hosting. However, it is more complicated and therefore allows for the possibility of more technical problems.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM

Default Re: concerns about cloud hosting

When it comes to cloud security, businesses dealing with sensitive data (employee or customer personal information, financial records, etc.) need tighter security controls at each level within the public or private cloud than businesses with less stringent data security requirements. Accordingly, companies should make sure their service providers have their facilities SAS-70 Type-II certified and PCI compliant and any other mandatory regulatory and compliance requirements. Cloud computing offers different security tools at each level (i.e. Firewall, Switching/Routing, Hyper Visor and SAN security) and at Qwest, we believe that coupled with proven security policies, a secure cloud can be achieved.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC View Post
When it comes to cloud security, businesses dealing with sensitive data (employee or customer personal information, financial records, etc.) need tighter security controls at each level within the public or private cloud than businesses with less stringent data security requirements. Accordingly, companies should make sure their service providers have their facilities SAS-70 Type-II certified and PCI compliant and any other mandatory regulatory and compliance requirements. Cloud computing offers different security tools at each level (i.e. Firewall, Switching/Routing, Hyper Visor and SAN security) and at Qwest, we believe that coupled with proven security policies, a secure cloud can be achieved.
Thank-you for this information. It sounds then as if Cloud services can be very secure when handled properly by the web hosting provider. I think I would feel more confident when finding a cloud provider offering the features you have listed.