Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Default Are IT Certifications a Good Investment?

Well, according to an outfit called Foote Partners (never heard of them), the value of IT certifications is falling in favor of experience:
"As more automation and virtualization makes its way into the data center, most users say certifications can be used as a filter in the first step of the hiring process, but aren’t the key to higher-paying jobs long-term."
See a summary article here: http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.c...e-losing-value.

Somewhat to the contrary, my experience in higher education is that certifications for nearly everything in IT are now being required for advancement, even among those with significant experience. That trend has been growing strongly for the past several years.

How are things where you work?

Ken
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 AM

Gaining a professional certification isn't easy - but then again, it's not meant to be. A professional certification sets a person apart as someone who's exceptional, who really knows his/her job. Certification provides a recognised benchmark of skills that can be aligned to organisational skills frameworks. Certification ensures that knowledge has been retained. You could earn more: a survey of MCPs by IDC found that 43% got a pay rise after gaining their certification. Some certifications make you part of a professional network, for example, Microsoft Certified Professionals belong to a community that only they can access.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Definitely they are because I met people who are in high positions even without Degrees and just having professional certification.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 PM

I would certainly say that experience takes precedence over certifications, but sometimes people with the proper experience aren't always available. Sometimes you want to give someone a shot to move up the ladder or they're leaving a job because they haven't gotten the responsibility they want. In those cases, certifications (good, well run programs) can certainly tell you a lot, that they have the knowledge to move into a new position, to take more technical responsibility. Sure, you make sure someone more experienced is supervising them, but you can't have people with 10+ years experience at every role in your company.

As was mentioned above, some certification programs certainly do give worthwhile perks, like access to all updates, earlier updates, trial licenses, conference invites, etc. All those things have value as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 AM

I don't see where certifications would hurt. I there are multiple candidates with simular experience I would believe the candidate with the correct certifications would have the edge. Also if there is a service provided many customers are demanding that their service provider have certified employees.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM

As for me, having certificates isn't so important as having real knowledges. If someone shows his(her) certificate it means nothing by itself. All knowledges should be checked if we want to be sure that a potential worker is suitable for us.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:32 AM

I don't see where certification would harm. I there are several applicants with simular encounter I would believe the applicant with the best certification would have the advantage.