Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Back-up Systems and Data Recovery

Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Default Want to know about various data backup methods..

Data backup is not only important for small or large business but data on your personal system at home also need to be store on some other storage media. Even if you are taking various precautions, then also your system may suffer data loss anytime.

To avoid loss of any kind of data, I am storing my important data regularly on CDs or pen drive. But they can also be destroyed anytime. So, I want to get know about most secured backup solution.

If you know other methods with the help of which I can secure my personal data while sitting at home, please help me with more information regarding better data backup method...
Old 01-15-2010, 05:33 PM

I've seen pen drives naturally degrade over time, or even get shorted from an unexpected powerspike. I've also had CD/DVDs that stopped working years later.

I've seen people setup their computers with 2 drives in RAID1 and will pull and replace one of the drives regularly and put the hard drive in an anti-static bag and store it.

I know some tech support companies out there offer offsite backup with their services that do incremental backups and keep it syncronized accross multiple systems in multiple datacenters.

Can always keep a couple spare hard drives dedicated to running backups, a dedicated backup server/computer that your other systems just connect to each night to make regular backups.

There are these "Gold" DVD/CDs out there that supposedly are rated for like 100 years. I've never worked with them before, but doesn't hurt to mention them.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks for such a useful information.
But still i want to know which method is more affordable and secure? offsite backup or online backup?..
Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 PM

The secure aspect would really vary by how paranoid you are about your data. The closest to 100% secure options would be anything that never transmits over the internet and is in your physical possession and control, like the CD/DVD media and (assuming no viruses) local private file servers or hard drive arrays. Next would be encrypted backup solutions that run their backup systems via some sort of VPN, and/or building your own where only you can touch either side to configure the encryption.

By cost, CD's are only a few cents a piece, DVDs not too much more per need/use. A local terabyte hard drive can run $80-$120 and is likely to last you a while on the size part of things(guessing from the fact you're doing backups with DVDs and pen drives). Grabbing two drives and RAID card for RAID1 can get up to a total of $300-$500 depending on exact parts. Creating a local dedicated backup server can start at $700 easily. Colocating the same server could cost the price of the server plus whatever monthly price the datacenter charges plus data overages. Renting a dedicated server or VPS would probably be cheaper then that.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Hello
However, many personal computer users don't really know what they need to back their data up. What's the best way to keep data in a safe location that isn't going to be subject to crippling data loss?

There are hundreds of ways available to back up your data, but some of them are far and away better than the others. Here's a list of some of the best and most secure ways to back your data up without spending too much money.

It may seem obvious, but these days, nearly every computer has a DVD-ROM drive that can write large amounts of information relatively quickly to either a DVD-R or CD-R disc. The discs themselves are relatively inexpensive, and they're a great form of data backup, as long as they're kept properly labeled and checked for consistency.

Beware of underrun errors, and check your data occasionally to make sure everything's ready if your hard drive goes out on you. Generally speaking, it's preferable to use CD/DVD-ROM backup as a secondary method of data backup, but it can do quite nicely in a pinch if you've got a few files or folders you need a backup of quickly.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 AM

Is it necessary to registered with companies who provide online data backup services? Or.. there is some other way to get these services?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie12 View Post
Is it necessary to registered with companies who provide online data backup services? Or.. there is some other way to get these services?
Yeah it is necessary.. registered data backup service provider give you secure encryption code. Whenever you want to access or restore the lost data at your end from the remote server, with the help of only this code you are able to decrypt the data and get the data in original format.
You cam also get the additional benefits with these companies.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
Yeah it is necessary.. registered data backup service provider give you secure encryption code. Whenever you want to access or restore the lost data at your end from the remote server, with the help of only this code you are able to decrypt the data and get the data in original format.
You cam also get the additional benefits with these companies.
No not necessarily, those specific features and configurations can be configured by one's technical staff if they have the education and experience. The advantage of working with a backup service is that they are the one managing the hardware not yourself.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks for such a useful information.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Not to do anything yourself. Online data backup works automatically and give complete security to your stored data.