Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 AM

Default Colocation VS Cloud

I find this is like comparing apples and oranges. Since a cloud infrastructure has to be colocated somewhere.

I'm also finding that many companies who may have a pioneered with a cloud / virtualization solution, are actually considering going back to conventional colocation for a cost savings and/or fear of the unknown. So many times the "Cloud" does seem mystifying, and that is why I believe some have considered all options. Also, read recently that many virtualization platforms tout big cost savings, but in the end, not so much.

The main difference that I see that is glaring between Cloud Computing and Colocation is that Cloud Computing - just in the phrase alone, is generalizing an entire myriad of solutions under the umbrella of "Cloud". Colocation - is very cut and dry. It is what it is, "Space, Power, and Bandwidth". With a few additional services added on, if required.

When it really comes down to whether a company choose one over the other, I believe it all comes down to what the advantages to the particular "cloud" platform has over not only the other platforms, but over other hosting options like colocation. Also, the clients need in particular, like, how much hands on do they want, or do they not care about cost as much as they do about convenience, scaleability, etc.

Anyone care to share thoughts? Specific Platforms / Pro's Con's?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourcologuru View Post
Cloud Computing - just in the phrase alone, is generalizing an entire myriad of solutions under the umbrella of "Cloud".
Use of the cloud as a buzzword is a new pet peeve of mine. Have you seen that Microsoft comercial where the couple are stuck at the airpot and they "use the cloud" to view movies on their laptop, even though the files are (gasp!) somewhere else? Not only has Apple has been offering this service since Leopard (they call it by the much more descriptive title: Back To My Mac), but the concept doesn't rely in any way on the abstraction of computing. What Microsoft is selling is here just the Internet, rebranded as THE CLOUD!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 PM

Great discussion here! When it comes to cloud computing and colocation, it really comes down to specific needs. There never has been, and probably never will be, a solution that covers all bases, that is all things to all people. There are times when a dedicated collocation solution makes sense and others where a cloud-based implementation allows scaling and ubiquity.

One of the strengths of a service provider (disclaimer, I work at Qwest) is to be able to deliver a solution appropriate to individual customers, rather than one-size-fits-all. In the case of either collocation or cloud, it is the ability of a provider to centralize resources and massively scale that allows a specific cost-effective solution. Data Centers can be built economically because of the large scale, and so can cloud infrastructure. The major advantage of an infrastructure cloud solution comes from the customer’s view, since they can scale rapidly from a single VM to a virtual data center, complete with GigE private or public ports (or both), firewall, and load balancing, without any financial commitment. All of the capital investments are made by the provider, and are enabled by the simple fact of being able to securely house multiple tenants in a scalable environment.

Cloud infrastructure basically provides all of the inherent advantages of a dedicated collocation implementation (security, reliability, stability, support) without the downsides of committed resources. If an application can run in the cloud, it is certainly worth trying it out on a limited basis, and scaling up when appropriate.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 AM

I think it varies with the specific needs in your business. Perhaps colocation and cloud approaches will work, but one will have a superior cost and performance characteristic for what you are doing right now.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 AM

Cloud computing is fast evolving into a viable alternative for companies in search of a cost-effective storage, application, and server solution. Its benefits are turning many skeptics into fans. Here is what you can expect:
1) REDUCED COST- Cloud technology is paid incrementally. You only pay for what you use. Easily turn up new business-enabling applications such as accounting or CRM without large capital costs.
2) STORAGE AVAILABILITY- Pay as you grow. Storage can be easily increased as your business demands.

Read More: http://www.cybertrails.com/Blogs/Jan...Computing.aspx