Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 PM

Default New stuff

So I met with a Berk-Tek representative today concerning the changes I want to make in our data center. She was pushing some new products such as the angled and curved patch panels. Also a new type of feed through panel that's been optimized and tested for minimal DB loss.

I'm wondering if anyone actually have any of those stuff deployed. I can't find any pictures of this stuff online and only have the catalog photos she left me with. If you know what I'm talking about drop some wisdom on me.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Don't know how much wisdom is here, but we've been using Panduit angled patch panels and pass-thru (coupler) panels with Cat5e cabling for a couple years. The panels eliminate the need for horizontal cable management in racks where dual vertical cable managers are being used. On the rear of the angled panels, it is easier to cross connections, since the same-side angle is > 90 deg. (eg., feed left side of panel from right side of rack).

No experience with curved panels, sorry.

Ken
Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Ken,

I've been wondering about feed through panels. I use them myself but only for two applications: test environments and the remote console network.

Sales reps being what they are she was telling me how there is a huge difference in performance and reliability when using feed through panels as opposed to 110 termination. Of course, that's pretty much a given and the reasons for it are a given too. What I'm wondering is how much of the feed through panels do you actually have deployed and how is it working out for you?

I personally either want to telco connect my new panels, or use feed through panels. I am considering the new product line she showed me with the shielded, tested, and optimized CAT6 feed through. But if the cost doesn't make sense then I'll want to revisit just using standard feed through panels.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Administrator

We're running about 500 connections through the coupler panels today at up to gigabit speeds -- including substantial iSCSI traffic -- with no issues. This has been a huge improvement in manageability over our old point-to-point architecture, which it replaced. Speaking of phasing out, we're just about to convert it all to a new Cat 6A and fiber infrastructure, replacing the coupler panels with Panduit QuickNet pre-terminated cable sets.

Ken
Old 11-21-2008, 07:25 AM

Okay, that's a big relief for me. We're basically doing the same thing here. About 75% of our stuff is point-to-point but it's a significant challenge because of the layout here.

Are you deploying the CAT6A for just backbone connections, or are you using it for anything else aside from that? BTW, Keith doesn't like it that I'm dead set on wanting to do CAT6.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

We've installed Cat 6A to panels above the the server racks, for up to 10 gig goodness to each host. Aggregate/backbone links are laser-optimized 50 micron fiber, which we can also run to each rack, if necessary. Should be a few years before we outgrow this setup .

Ken
Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoeclectic View Post
BTW, Keith doesn't like it that I'm dead set on wanting to do CAT6.
Oy with the Cat6 already!

If I am going to do 10g, I am going fiber. Cat6 is too picky with how it is run and how it is terminated and blah blah blah! As I mentioned before Cat6 is great if you are planning on eventually doing 10g over copper. My question is why would you rely on something that has so many different simple factors that could degrade your backbone? We all talk about things that can degrade the performance on cat5e...Cat6 is even pickier!

I guess I am just not trendy enough!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM

I too was looking for the answers that you have supplied in this thread. I appreciate your help on this matter even though I was not the one that asked the initial question. But thanks for the information anyway.