Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Question Physical Security General Info please

Hello,
I recently joined this forum after a friend tipped me off.

I'm a bachelor's student of software engineering, and we're doing our final year project on data center service management system.

My part is to take care of all the physical security related aspects. I've been searching the web and different document to find and list what to included in the abstract term 'physical security'.

Uptill now, I've included the following items to use in my software for physical security monitoring.

1- Intruder Detection via:
i- Motion Detection
ii- doors lock detection
iii- window-break detectors

2- An employee entering a section of the data center unauthorized.

3- Steps to take in case of emergency, i.e. how to protect the building incase it has to be evacuated etc.

4- fire protection mechanism (i'm using some abstract things i know, i.e. to shut down the sytems in the room, check the room has no employees, lock down the doors, and fire up the fire extinguishers).

Can anyone please point me in some right direction regarding physical security, so i know what things to include in the physical security/monitoring of our data center management system?

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:40 PM

You're going to have windows in this data center?

Security cameras, biometric access, man traps, security guards. You'll need a delay switch for the fire suppression system, closed circuit phones inside of the data center in case of emergencies, EPO's (emergency power off), underfloor cages motion detectors and leak detection system.

I don't know of any literature online to assist.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 AM

Thank you for the info neo.
If anyone else has any generic info regarding what factors to monitor as the physical security of a data center, please enlighten me.

Thank you