Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Default Tier 4

Anyone know if a data center with a single utility feed and a single generator i considered tier 4?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Administrator

Nope. G.5 says "The building should have at least two utility feeders from different utility substations for redundancy."

Ken
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Nope. G.5 says "The building should have at least two utility feeders from different utility substations for redundancy."
Ken

Have often wondered what is meant by redundant utility feeds. If you have two substation transformers on site (they could even be in the same room) and they both go back to the same transformer upstream, is this any improvement? How far upstream do you have to go to get the redundancy level required to meet Tier 4?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoeclectic View Post
Anyone know if a data center with a single utility feed and a single generator i considered tier 4?
Technically, No. But in countries where there is only one universal utility company(by government). There isn't a choice. Instead, improvising (i.e. N+2 or 2N+2) would be ideally close to Tier 4.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM

Thanks. I was able to sort of figure it out over the weekend. I think technically our facility is (N+1) being 1 utility feed and 1 generator. TIA says that 2(N+1) would be more inline with T4. My interpretation of that is two unique utility feeds and a generator each.

Does that sound about right?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Ken

Have often wondered what is meant by redundant utility feeds. If you have two substation transformers on site (they could even be in the same room) and they both go back to the same transformer upstream, is this any improvement? How far upstream do you have to go to get the redundancy level required to meet Tier 4?
Good point. Transformers and other redundant gear should probably have some "geographic diversity," so that important eggs don't share the same basket.

Ken
Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoeclectic View Post
Thanks. I was able to sort of figure it out over the weekend. I think technically our facility is (N+1) being 1 utility feed and 1 generator. TIA says that 2(N+1) would be more inline with T4. My interpretation of that is two unique utility feeds and a generator each.

Does that sound about right?
That is the exact definition. Also look at: http://www.adc.com/Library/Literature/102264AE.pdf
or Data center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

good luck