Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Tips for your data center power

Google and Facebook have released some tips for controlling the power usage of data centers, based on changes they have made in their own. Here is what they are saying:
http://blogs.carouselindustries.com/...er-power-tips/
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 AM

Neat! Thanks for the link to the article. I really appreciate that big companies are actually taking measurable steps towards becoming greener and more environmentally-friendly.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali View Post
Neat! Thanks for the link to the article. I really appreciate that big companies are actually taking measurable steps towards becoming greener and more environmentally-friendly.
I do too, but we need drastic world-wide change. Agreed, any change helps, but if we don't as a species evolve from dragging our environment down, there will be serious long term consequences.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the nice share! Just earlier today I read an article about Google reducing their carbon footprint. I typed it out for you below:

Quote:
Google Shines Spotlight On Its Energy Footprint - TechSmart Magazine Issue 97
Google is working hard to reduce the amount of energy that their services employ. The company stated that in order to provide a user with Gogle products for an entire month, including search, Google+, Gmail, YouTube and every other Google product, their servers use less energy than a light left on for three hours. Additionally, as Google has been a carbon-neutral company since 2007, even that amount of energy is offset completely, so the carbon footprint of a user's time spent using Google's products and services is zero. The company also makes extensive use of renewable energy, such as seawater cooling systems at one of their data centers, and solar panels at their Mountain View campus.
So it really is great to see these large companies doing something good for the environment.

Regards,
ford
Old 11-06-2011, 02:45 AM

I am not surprised that Google has invested time to research this and make sure that they do not leave a carbon footprint. They are a very up-to-date company and think of everything.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Releasing this information about making their carbon footprint smaller is not just good for the environment. I guess I'm a bit of a cynic because I can only see all the positive press these companies are getting, when they are moving so many of the datacenters out of North American and making it more difficult for regular data managers to get decent jobs. I do think it is great that they are making these changes, and I also want to save the planet, but I'd also like to get the U.S. and Canada back on a strong footing economically too.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 AM

Measure your data center’s power consumption and heat generation to spot potential improvement areas with an HP Thermal Assessment Service.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM

I think it's a great idea that companies this big is willing to do this. But, they do have money to make big changes like this. It costs a lot of money to make such a drastic change.