Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:43 PM

Default KVM switch without the switch

Hi, curious if anyone has encountered some sort of kvm or just looking for a keyboard option where I can wire up multiple servers to a keyboard and execute commands simultaneously? Essentially a KVM switch without the switch? I help audit servers and often we need to change bios settings on hundreds or thousands of servers and we often find our selves manually one a time booting up the machine and waiting in post to enter the bios. If we are able to load an OS on the machines easily we have software tools to accomplish what I am talking about or sometimes we can use scripts across the BMC Nics to boot directly into bios or make the kind of changes we are looking for. It would just be pretty awesome if there was a something we could rig up where one keyboard is connected through some sort of passthrough device that sent out the keystrokes to say 40 usb ports connected to this passthrough device. The closest I have found to a diy project is sort of this: https://pmfhacks.wordpress.com/2015/...s-a-smart-kvm/

We do use a teensie to accomplish this task sometime but really that is pretty tedious as well as we still have to run it one server at a time. Basically if we could replicate 40 teensies across 40 machines and be able to control them all from one device would work as well. Any thoughts on this would be great. Im a bit surprised there isn't a commercial option for this already.