Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Data Center Map

I have just launched a new tool today, that will be useful for data center clients as well as data center operators. The site is called Data Center Map, and the idea is to index co-location data centers from all over the world and interact them with a map. I currently have about 550 data centers indexed at the moment from more than 30 different countries.

It would be great with some feedback on the site. Thanks.
European DDoS Protection - DDoS mitigation in Europe.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 PM

Thank you for your reply.
It's actually a very interesting question, and a relevant concern that a few datacenters have raised for me. For the data centers who do not want their location publicly available I have made it possible to be listed in a special way - see SpringNetl as an example.

My personal theory is that it is more or less impossible to keep the address of a co-location datacenter 100% secret, specially if it is a big one.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 AM

Hehe, yes that would be one way However, it's their own choise to be listed in that way - others have listed themselves with a 40 miles radius.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 PM

A cool idea, too bad it is only for co-location.

When I look at the domain, I'm thinking "Great! I'd love to see the data centers around me! It may provide contacts for future employment or peer networking opportunities!"
When I get to the mainpage, at 1024x768, the only mention of co-location is in the small text at the bottom.

I would have liked to add my data center to the site, but my data center is to support my corporate company, nothing else.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:35 PM

I see your point, that kind of site would probably also be interesting - but it would be a totally different thing. I'll consider making it more clear on the mainpage that it's targted at the co-location industry - perhaps by changing the logo in some way.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cernst View Post
A cool idea, too bad it is only for co-location.

When I look at the domain, I'm thinking "Great! I'd love to see the data centers around me! It may provide contacts for future employment or peer networking opportunities!"
When I get to the mainpage, at 1024x768, the only mention of co-location is in the small text at the bottom.

I would have liked to add my data center to the site, but my data center is to support my corporate company, nothing else.
The problem with a list of corporate datacenters is qualifying them. What is the bar? If I have a rack in my basement that I host my website off of through my DSL connection can I be on the list?

Obviously we would consider facilities like 1and1's or Cerner's... and maaayyybbeee Yellow Freight's to be "real" datacenters (in the Kansas City area) but how do you qualify smaller ones.

I think the site listing facilities offering colo is a great idea. The implementation is also very good. I've already submitted 5 or 6 local facilities, even competitors, to add to the data.

Aaron
Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I definately like the idea of your site, I am surprised however how few you have listed in the US. Are you mainly focusing outside the US?
I'm interested in entries from all over the world, no special focus, but the majority of the users are from the US and UK. I contacted some facilities in the start to get data, but as this is a spare time project I do not have the time to keep contacting new ones - I'll leave it to the natural growth of the site for now.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 PM

Nice site, its good to see all the DC's in one place.

Great work!!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune View Post
I'm interested in entries from all over the world, no special focus, but the majority of the users are from the US and UK. I contacted some facilities in the start to get data, but as this is a spare time project I do not have the time to keep contacting new ones - I'll leave it to the natural growth of the site for now.
I appreciate your idea and i feel gradually the number of enteries would increase and users from all the regions would participate. It wish for its great future.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Sorry to bump up this old thread, just wanted to inform you that the site has been updated now - with new features such as IP transit presence, direct quote service, company profiles etc.