Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 12-26-2004, 10:29 PM
resellernow

Default How does datacenter save energy?

How does datacenter manage energy efficiency, I have been looking at prices at datacenter and prices are very expensive. Square feet space for $120 per square foot and up. I beleive this is because of utility. How can we get with cheaer price.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Andy

I don't think there is a way for the datacenter to SAVE energy as customers would always require more. It's almost a market standard if you rent a rack and it comes with 15-20 AMPs with a 42u cabinet; however, a single P4 can take 1.0-1.5 amps and halfway down the road you would need to bug the DC for additional energy. $120 / sqft is rather steep tho.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:41 PM
resellernow

Thank you for your info. It is really very useful information.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:32 AM
geekster

resellernow,

Are your sure that its not $120/ SQFT per year? so $12/ Monthly.

Price also depends on location, location, location!

For a company to lease office / space in NYC its anywhere from $20/35 SQFT / Year.

So say they get 10,000 SQFT x $35/SQFT = $350,000.00 / Year in rent / 12 = $29.166.00 roughly. Then divide that again by 10,000 which gives you $2.9166/ SQFT FT. So if the provider is charging you $12/monthly for something that costs them roughly $3 (not including power and cooling) you can see it probably around a 50% profit for the provider.

(these numbers are on the high side, but I've seen providers paying this much + more for space in NYC)

Almost forgot about the SAVE Energy Question; There really isnt much you can do, turn the lights off when they are not being used, only if you are a real stickler. Every pennie add's up and if you are lighting a 30,000 SQ FT facility 24x7 it could cost alot of money.
That is about the only way that I could see saving a bit of money.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Admin

Also I imagine you could save energy by making you equipment (air conditioning and lighting) more efficient. I imagine these signifigantly up DC costs. Generally you need to make sure you own electrical stuff is of max efficiency.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

most data centers are turning off their lighting or are relying on natural light in their data centers. they are also opting for fuel cells as a measure to get off the power grid.